Babies and Water

Ok, I posted a question and I honestly am surprised by some of the answers I got. Some people made it sounds like a 7 mo old does not need to drink water. He is breast-fed and he only drinks like 6 in the morning, 9 in the morning (about half as much as 6am), about 2pm (about as much as 9am) and then sometimes at 5 or 6pm, but he is starting to not want to feed then recently. So, he probably only gets like 16 oz a day of breastmilk. How should he not be drinking water?? He will get dehydrated if he isn't drinking more than just b-milk, wont he? Please let me know your opionions on this matter, and ONLY opinions!

CassCass

Asked by CassCass at 12:06 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastmilk is made from the water you drink there fore when he drinks he gets the water too! I think at this age there is no need to worry about it but try to get him use to the sippy idea and once he gets it he will be ready to drink water. Also, talk to your pediatrician about it it will make you feel better about the situation
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't see how an oz or 2 could hurt. But I've heard too much water can thin the blood.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was worried about my DD getting dehydrated b/c her soft spot was kinda dipping a little and he said that he has seen them literallyl deep enough to hold water without it spilling over...I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe offer him a little juice but I don't think that too much water is good for a baby...You can google it b/c i remember your question from before.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• from what i know you aren't supposed to give too much water at that point, so a couple ounces a day shouldn't hurt. or juice, 3/4 juice 1/4 water that way hes hydrated. but if you are really concerned i'd talk to the ped. like bugsmommy said.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well, my OPINION is that those people were wrong.Once your child has started solids and is needing less milk then it is likely that they do need additional liquids. On kellymom it says "Once baby starts solids, you might want to give him a few sips of expressed milk or water with his solids - some babies need this to prevent constipation."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We gave my girls water earlier than that I think. My grandparents thought they needed water.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 12:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Pediatricians aren't trained extensively in nutrition, but we are to believe they are all knowing about all things baby including nutrition.
    Water is fine at that age. They used to give babies water that early, and honestly, the people were much thinner. I think it's important to get kids liking water early. My son is 10 months and has been drinking water since 6 months and loves it.
    Do what you as your kid's mom thinks is right for your baby.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• breastmilk should be enough but if you're concerned you might want to call your pediatrician and they can ease your mind.
    feelgoodinc

Answer by feelgoodinc at 12:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• When my daughter started solids regularly (about 6 months) I would give her about 2 oz. of water with her solids. The only concern is if your child is on the thin side (like mine is), then you would want to substitute the water for breastmilk so they aren't getting empty calories.

Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 1:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Limited amounts of water is okay, but it's not necessary. At only 7 months and only taking 16oz per day of breastmilk, I would suggest trying to pump and offer breast milk instead of water though. Unless he's getting his nutrition from table foods, he still needs breastmilk for proper nutrition.

Just an opinion...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2009