If your baby's heart rate drops while you are in labor aren't they supposed to do an emergency c-section?

Ok so I talked to other people I know about this question and they all believed that if a baby's heart rate drops while you are in labor that a doctor is supposed to perform an emergency c-section.... is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• we ended up having an emerg c-section with my first son. His heartrate kept dropping and I was not progressing at all. Depending on at what stage of labor you are at when the emergency section is done, we will not be put under or be in there alone. My hubby was with me the whole time.

The drop in heart rate will be monitored and if cause arises, then a possibility of a c section will be discussed.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• only if it drops enough to be dangerous to the baby. if not dangerously low than there is no need for it. and emergency c-secs are worse than regular b/c you have to be put under and no one is allowed w/you. in a reg c-sec (even one that is not scheduled my first wasn't scheduled but wasn't an emergency either, i chose to do it b/c i had been in labor for 3 days) you are awake and your SO can be with you.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It is quite normal for a baby's heartrate to drop during contractions. It's when a baby's heartrate drops and does not rise again that it can become an issue. Also if the baby's heartrate continues to fall and rise but moves into an "unsafe" range it can become an issue. Generally, yes, doctors choose to perform a cesarean.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Only if it drops substantially and isn't coming back up. It can mean the baby isn't handling the stress of labor well. My oldest's heart rate dropped all the time before labor and while in labor and I had her vaginally. I won't say naturally because it was induced. LOL
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son was an emergency c-section because the cord was wrapped around his neck and he was stressed...ALTHOUGH his heart rate was fine. I think it depends on the situation..something for you to ask your obgyn
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my sons dropped and they monitored it to see if it was due to contractions, which it was so it was fine
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My daughter's dropped. The dr. used a suction cup to pull her out. Suction cup/ vacuum? not sure.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 12:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• NicMorgan, yes. Suction cup = vacuum.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• only if it drops to a dangerous level .
    it is normal for it to drop a little during labor.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Depends on if they can get the heartbeat up in certain amount of time. When I had my second son, I wasn't dialating past 7cm after an Epi, my placenta was bleeding and my son was in distress, so with me..they had no choice but to.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2009