drinking beer in front of kids

sooo my husband & i disagree on appropriate beverages 2 drink in front of our kids, i think beer (not ALL the time) at a b-b-q, pool party, ect is ok even when kids are around as long as whoever is drinking DOES NOT drive & does not get drunk & doesn't get out of control. yet he believes drinking or even being around people that are drinking is inappropriate w/kids around. what do u girls think? and do u drink? my hubby used to but doesn't feel like it anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I dont think it is right. It is showing the kids that it is okay to drink when you are suppose to be influencing them that these things are better off not having around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i think as long as people aren't walking around trashed than drinking in front of the kids is fine. as long as they know it is for adults and has to be handled resposibly. my parents drank on occasion (bar b ques parties etc..) in front of me and it never phased me. i drink in front of my daughter if she asks for some i tell her its grown up juice and she can't have any. and i think any beverage is appropriate as long as just like you said, no one is drunk, out of control, or driving after more than 2 drinks
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• it is ok to drink, you just have to control yourself and not get drunk. just b/c you have a drink of alcohol doesn't mean you are bad. and alcohol is not bad as long as you show them how to drink responsibly. if you are running around trashed in front of your kids thats a diff story. but i'd rather my children see alcohol and know it is ok w/limits than get to high school or even middle school nowadays and not know that there are limits on things, get drunk get in a car and die
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'm not really a drinker but I may drink once a year. IF I drink, I always put it in a glass and my kids never know ;) I think the way you explained it is ok. A beer fest where everyone is drinking and being stupid is not good for the kids to be around.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't think it's appropriate to drink in front of kids, and no, we don't drink ourselves
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:24 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Personally I agree with you. If it is controlled, you can care for your children, and you arent driving with them in the car then a few is ok. We dont live in a world where it dont exist, and you arent going to stop them from drinking when theyre teens. If they see you being responsible about it they will know how to be when it comes to drinking. My parents rarely drank, but when they did they were responsible about it. When I became a teen I drank with my friends once in awhile, and my parents knew. I was honest and open about it with my parents and they were ok with it because I was responsible about it.

And as for beer fests, my parents used to take me to the Oktober fest when I was little, and I thought it was halarious watching the drunk people fall over and act like idiots... it was quite the entertainment.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 12:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• As long as everyone is being responsible with their drinking it would be a good way to show a sense of responsiblity to the kids. Excessive tho isn't the greatest idea for any kid to witness.
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 12:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think if you hide it from them it will become taboo like and they will be more likely to try it when their peers are.
    feelgoodinc

Answer by feelgoodinc at 12:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• and will most likely keep it from you the parent which could bring on more unhealthy choices.. i.e. drunk driving or getting in a car with a drunk friend behind the wheel.
    feelgoodinc

Answer by feelgoodinc at 12:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Before I had my son, my dh and I would party on occasion. Now, however, we are not big drinkers. My dh is out of town 90% of the month and I don't keep alcohol in the house. When my dh is home, he will buy maybe a 6 pack of beer, but doesn't usually drink it until our son goes to bed and he is still a responsible drinker (doesn't drive and so on). However, we have one major get together at our house a year (our fantasy football draft) and we do allow people to bring their own beer and we will have a few. We do not allow people to get stupid or "trashed" in our home and we do not leave since it is in our home. Bottom line, if you can be responsible I don't see why adults can't enjoy a drink or two in their own home!
    katyuwf

Answer by katyuwf at 6:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009