Can a baby pass out from crying so hard?

Quick Recap: I was putting my 9 month old to bed and she was almost asleep so I layed her in her crib and she started crying. She will normally cry so hard she turns red and then she will take her deep breath of air. This time seemed longer than normal so I picked her up and it seemed like she passed out. I patted her on the back and then immediately ran out to the light to make sure she wasn't blue. Right when I brought her out to the bright light she was her normal self. Could she have possibly passed out? The only reason I didn't call 911 was because she resumed breathing however I have a call in to the Pediatrician because I would like her to be seen. She has not left my side since and is now asleep right next to me. Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is this for real??? why on earth would anyone let their little one cry so hard to even get to that point...that's abuse...so I hope you're joking and YES they can pass out from loss of oxygen...geez
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Good grief what is with people claiming abuse on every single little thing, ignore hte person above me, you arent abusing your child *eyeroll*

I doubt she passed out, every kid I have ever seen has thrown a fit and cried, making it a long drawn out cry and held their breath in a way, shoot even Ive gotten like that before
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• uhh I let my child auctually bith my children cry themself's to sleep, not everynight just a few when they were being bratty. There isnt nothing wrong with it my parents let us do it. Just make sure you check up on her every 10 to 15 minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Doesn't like abuse to me..............
    Anyway, yes if kids cry so hard and hold their breath they can pass out. One of my boys would do that (hold their breath) and the Dr said IF they passed out, the body's natural reaction will be to breath- immediately! It scares the crap out of us parents but they should be fine.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• sorry Im not a big believer in CIO so I might be bias but... honey, dont let your baby cry like that. It is doing her no good and singing her a lullaby or rocking her wont make her overly attached. Try reading to her in low light. Reading is good and it will help her get into a routine. When she is almost asleep and you lay her down and she wakes up and sees nothing but your backside walking out, she thinks she is being left alone.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• abuse my butt. i don't know how many times my daughter has held her breath while she cried it is harder to breath when you are screaming so it doesn't click that they should breath! i would call the ped either way b/c you said it wasn't like normal for her. but yes it's normal for some children to pass out b/c they hold their breath while crying, especially older children they do it on purpose b/c they know it gets attention (toddler age though not 9 months)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Heck no. It is not abuse, you can let them cry... NO ONE EVER died from crying too much. Get a freaking life if you think it's abuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Those poor babies just left to cry. Laziness.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Omg. Your POOR baby :( :( :( I agree with the first poster. That's abuse. I dont believe in CIO and anyone who does should read this article:

http://drbenkim.com/articles-attachment-parenting.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Aw :( my stomach turned to ice reading that. That really isnt healthy letting your baby cry like that. She's too young to understand why your not picking her up. All she knows is that her mommy is nowhere and she feels abandoned.

It's okay to hold your baby! She wont be spoiled or ruined, if anything she'll be more confident and independent in the future. Please dont make your baby cry it out like that.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2009