this whole underwear thing doesn't seem to be working..

i put my son in regular underwear today for the first time instead of pullups. he didn't tell me once that he had to go potty, he just went in his underwear and let it drip on the floor every time. it got pretty aggravating by the end of the day. should i stick with the regular underwear? or should i give up until he seems more ready? he's 2 1/2 and i was hoping to have him mostly potty trained by pre-school but im not sure if it's going to happen.

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 12:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they have "training pants" that are underwear but thicker so it doesn't just go right through and is all cotton so is more uncomfortable. or you could put plastic pants over the underwear. and have him stop what he is doing every 30 mins or so to put him on the potty.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• yeahh my mom told me they have regular underwear with the padding on the front but i couldn't find them at walmart.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i found them at target. walmart near me doesn't have them either. or maybe a babies r us?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Stick with the undies but don't wait for him to tell you he has to go, take him at least every 2 hours. Even if he was telling you he had to go when he was in pull-ups, kids quickly learn that playing with toys is more fun than sitting in a boring bathroom. Even when dancing from foot to foot and holding themselves to keep from going, playing with toys will win. Remember the early potty training Don't Ask, Don't Tell rule... Don't ask him if he has to go, don't wait for him to tell. Tell him it is time to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Oh, and don't bother with the training pants. Yes, they have some extra padding but they aren't the pants your mom remembers. They are filled with polyester fiberfill and the pee just runs right through them. I was SOOOO disgusted!

Also consider just going with the bare-butt method. My daughter would wet if anything was on her bottom when we started training but would stop going immediately and run to the potty if she was bare.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• PTing takes A LOT of patience. I tried the underwear for a bit but it didn't work as well. We started when our first son was 3 years old and within 6 months, he was completely PT'd. Some kids will learn faster with just undies and some don't.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We put our daughter in underwear straight from diapers. We didn't take her at intervals, we waited for her to start to have an accident and then moved her to the potty so she finished there. They get the point very quickly. It's messy, but effective. Just keep her in underwear and a t-shirt, nothing else.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Honestly, I believe it's about what you do when he pees in the underwear.  Read the steps in this blog.  It really makes a huge difference at any age.

http://raisingrocco.today.com/2009/04/23/potty_trained_under_two/

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009