When SHOULD babies be walking?

When did your babies walk? My son is 15 months and has NO interest! should I be concerned? People tell me not to worry and that he'll walk when he's ready. I'm starting to feel like they say that to make me feel better. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i started at 11 months and so did my son, but its different for every baby, i have a friend whose son AND daughter both started walking at 15 months
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• oh and my husband was 10 months, but really every baby is different!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• They aren't saying that to make you feel better. That's the truth. Every child hits a certain 'milestone" when they're ready. All you can do is help them to reach it.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• DD just started walking on the 12 (Easter) and she will be 15 months on Friday. I wouldn't worry unless when he stands he seems to be in pain or uncomfortable.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• What does your pediatrician say? Is he pulling up? Does he cruise furniture? Is he crawling or moving somehow or just staying in one spot? Is he carried a lot? Has he reached his other gross developmental mile stones later than average?

The average for a first step (quick google) seems to be about 13 months. (first step...not full out walking)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it, (I know it's hard not to), but seriously he will get it soon. I have met a number of children his age who haven't learned to walk yet, as old as 18 or more months. My family was worried because my son never even crawled until he was almost a year old, then he walked a few days later. You could ask his ped about it but he's perfectly normal according to the aap.
    xmum

Answer by xmum at 11:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• when THEY are ready...dont force it, everything goes so quickly...relish the moment!!!
    amwb1201

Answer by amwb1201 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Been my experience as a daycare teacher that each child will is different and will walk/talk/whatever when ready. My own daughter did not start walking til she was about 13 or 14 months. It turned out that she had ear problems and needed tubes, never considered that her equalibrium was off. Just remember that he will walk when ready to. If it really concerns you though, ask the pediatrician ( I know I've bugged mine a LOT during the past 26 months, and when I couldn't get her I would call my aunt who is a neonatal nurse lol)
    ayleana

Answer by ayleana at 10:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2009