What is Scabies?

I made a post a few days ago wondering if my dear Saige had the chicken pox. Well we went to the doctor, well she was booked so we seen the PA, anyways, the moment he walked in he said " that isn't the chicken pox, it is scabies" WHAT!!!! Well I have done a little research and keep coming up with different information about scabies, and what I have read isn't what the PA said. So I don't know.... I was just wondering if anyone else on here has had experience with scabies and could tell me what to expect.

Like the doctor said there is nothing we can do just give her benadryl, he said the scabies will go away on its own. Then online I read that it wont go away with out treatment and that there is a cream to use. Then the PA said that it isn't contagious but online it said that it is, by skin contact such as shaking hands or through linens like sheets and clothing. So I just don't know what to believe.

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• scabies is a form of chicken pox, it happens AFTER someone already had chick pox.
    It is normal in old ppl, it is common on the nerves so it will be in a line , under the arm pits , down the spine.....ect.
    It is super painful not really itchy .
    I have worked in nursing homes for 7 yrs. and have seen it lots.
    not sure how a baby could get it. i would get a seacond opinion IMO
    dita

Answer by dita at 1:06 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• scabies are not chickenpox or a anything like that.they are their own little nasty critters that hang out where the skin is thin and/or warm(like the ankles, wrists, groin, armpits).scabies are highly contagious and anyone can get them.the reason many old people get them is because they are probably in nursing homes and all kinds of things are passed along in those places because they are not clean.your baby probably got them from another person/baby in day care or something.my sister had them and she only found out she had them because my cousin called her and told her she found out she had them and they had slept in the same bed recently (my sister had been itchy).if it is scabies, they will NOT go a way on their own!you need medication and i think it's called permethrin 5% ( i just googled it).if you don't treat them, they WILL GET WORSE!!get a 2nd opinion fast!

nairda

Answer by nairda at 1:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• oh and it is not painful, it is itchy! it's body lice. the warmer the temperature, the worse it will get. trust me, your baby needs a medicated lotion!
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 2:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Scabies is a mite. It burrows under the skin. I got it, of all things, from my mattress in my college dorm. Gross! No, it won't go away on its own. We had to wash everything in hot water, and I had to put on a topical cream from the neck on down. I'm not sure if this prescribed cream would be safe for a toddler, but your doctor sounds like he's on crack if he thinks it's scabies and will go away on its own. Also it's contagious. I'd get another opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• body lice and scabies are NOT the same thing not even close.
    and i agree it IS from chicken pox ...get a 2nd opinion..we r far from doctors on here
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Scabies - Cause

Scabies is caused by the miteSarcoptes scabiei. Scabies mites are attracted to the warmth and smell of humans. Female mites burrow into the skin, creating small, threadlike tunnels that you can sometimes see. The mites lay eggs and leave feces in these tunnels.
    How scabies is spread1

* Scabies usually is spread by close, intimate contact, such as sleeping in the same bed with or touching someone who has scabies. The scabies mite cannot fly or jump, and it moves very slowly.
    * Scabies mites can live up to 36 hours without a human host. During this time, the mites may spread to other people. Mites usually spread through skin-to-skin contact, but they can spread from contact with clothing, bed linens, and other household and personal items.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Scabies - Cause

* A mite burrows very quickly under the skin, especially in areas where it is rough or wrinkled, such as the elbows, knuckles, and knees. Touching or scratching an area that is infested with mites can spread them to other parts of the body.
    * After burrowing under the skin, a female mite lays 10 to 25 eggs before she dies. The eggs hatch into larvae 2 to 3 days later. These larvae move to the skin's surface and become adults within about 14 to 17 days. This cycle continues until the mites are killed.

The scabies mite that infests humans does not live on dogs or other pets. Similarly, animal-transmitted scabies mites do not survive or reproduce on humans. However, they can live long enough on humans to cause itchy hives or raised bumps that last a few days.
    Contagious and incubation periods

Scabies is contagious. If you have scabies, you can spread mites to other people before and after you develop sy
    Anonymous