Are bubbles or foam at the top of a betta bowl normal?

I have a 1.5 liter fish bowel and 2-3 days after I clean it, a film with a clump of bubbles *so it looks kinda foamy* resides at the top. I do not use soap, so I know it isnt film left over from that...Is this normal? Any idea what it is caused by?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 12:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pets

• I bought a betta at petsmart last week and the bubbles are there because they go to the surface to breathe. Totally normal :)
    Charlies_mom

Answer by Charlies_mom at 1:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• its laying unfertilized eggs. i think the males carry thim if i remember right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yes. When I bought our beta fish, the guy told me that the male builds the nest and cares for the eggs. They build the nest out of bubbles. It's not actually a nest, but it's the best way to describe it. It is perfectly normal.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yeah its the bubble nest.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 1:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i concur, its a kind of nest he is building. i have had some bettas that were always building one and others who maybe did it once in a great while.
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 7:41 PM on May. 4, 2009