Why do people assume that all african americans dont sunburn?

Ok so its really hot where I live and when we had people over to go swimming at the creek at our backyard. A lot asked "why do I put on sunblock?" Since they think african americans dont burn! I dont burn easily but I DO! Last year we went on a boat trip and I got a big burn on my t zone on my face it was peeling and everything! I am bi-racial but my dad burns too!

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 1:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I never assume anything. a long time ago I used to assume my obese friend had a thyroid problem because in all the years I knew her I had never seen her eat. DAMN! after I saw her smoke pot during a late night party and saw her eat everything but the fridge.......THEN I knew what was up. lol
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Cause you can't see it maybe? I never thought about it till I had my biracial nephew with me at the water park and I wondered if he burned. I assumed skin is skin regardless of color and but some sunblock on him. I always use it on my lily-white kid but I'm glad I put some on him, I asked him mom later and she said ppl with darker skin burn too, it just doen't turn bright red like it does on us.

Its more a matter of not knowing or not thinking about it for most ppl probably. I never though about it till I had to deal with it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i neer thought that . i mean heck dont know about everyone elses Biology classes but in bio 2 our teacher even taught that.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think it's because people can't see it's red and everyone associates a sunburn to red skin
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you've got skin you can burn. Although I have wondered if it is less common in darker colored people? My Dh is Puerto Rican, nice tan, my DD's #2 & 3 are like dad, and they almost never seem to burn. DD #1 and I are fair and I swear we can't be out without sunblock for more than 5 min. and we're red as beets.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I can honestly say it takes a lot of sun exposure for me to get a burn. Like 5 hours in the sun without sun block.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2009