Am I making the right decision about giving away our German Shepherd? Feeling guilty....

A friend of a friend found a puppy on the side of the highway last december, and we took him in, ready to give him love. We also thought he'd be a small-medium sized breed (we have a toddler and a small apartment with no yard). Now, he is a huge german shepherd that is very loving, but impossible to train and terrifies my son because the dog (Duke) is so large. He knocks my son to the floor (trying to play), and nips. Now my son is so terrified he sprints to the couch and refuses to come off of it when Duke is out of his crate. Potty training my kid is impossible with this happening. The back patio used to be Dukes relaxing spot, when he gets particularly annoying and I don't want to trap him in his crate, but in a moment of boredom he chewed the wires connecting the air conditioning to the house (we live in california) so the patio is no longer an option. He is scheduled to go to a no-kill shelter.. right choice?

Charlies_mom

Asked by Charlies_mom at 1:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pets

• I have been in the same situation twice!! We had a Shepard in our old house, when we moved she died of cancer within a month. We had a new baby and got a new sheperd puppy right away. We never gave thought to the fact that we now live in a different atmosphere. small front yard, huge back yard with no fence,and a new baby. We loved the dog but she spent most of her time tied up outside. This was just not fair to her. I finally decided to look into rescue groups. We found a rescue group and they found a perfect family who just lost their dog and their 12 year old boy was devastated. He immediately fell in love with our dog and she now has a wonderful life with this family. We decided after this happened again that big dogs were not meant for this home. We now have two small dogs and they fit in to our family and home extremely well. Before I tried again with a puppy, I investigated breeds at the library.
    jewels922

Answer by jewels922 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think it is really unfair to the dog to keep him in a crate too long. A little obedience training could really help your situation, but if you don't have the time to commit to that training then I think you are making the right decision giving him away. And thank you for seeking out a no-kill shelter. I know it's a hard decision to give him away.
    Good luck!
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 1:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thank you, all my friends/family agree it's the best choice, just feeling completely wretched about it. I don't want him to feel abandoned again... sigh.
    Charlies_mom

Answer by Charlies_mom at 1:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• YES IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO! YOUR CHILD COMES FIRST BEFORE ANY PET! THE GULIT TO WILL SOON PASS.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Have you tried contacting your local American Kennel Club and asking about training classes, or recommendations for trainers or training classes in your area ? Have you tried contacting the local ASPCA, or Humane Society about Training Classes, or training resources? Is the dog walked at a minimum of twice a day for 45 to 60 minutes at a time? Does he have toys that stimulate his mind, as well as play that stimulates his mind? Shepherds are very smart dogs who need exercise, training and brain stimulation , or they are bored and they cause trouble.Your dog is not unmanageable , not by a long shot. Your dog is untrained, under exercised, and BORED from lack of stimulation. I would suggest training classes, better stimulation , more exercise, and for you to research the breed. If you cant do for him , then I suggest looking for a Breed Specific German Shepherd Rescue in your area try Petfinder.com for resourses.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 9:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree with the last post!! 100% try to train and play with him as much as possible or find a shepard rescue. No-kill shelters, do still HAVE to kill if not adopted eventually or they would be over crowded and out of money.
    P.S I am in the same position.
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We have 2 Shepherds, please find a rescue, ours are both rescue dogs and they can be trained!!! I would take him if I didn't live 2000+miles away from you! My Hubby transports them and is in Washington State right now, getting ready to head to Texas.. Please let me know what happens to him.. This might help.... http://www.gcgsr.org/
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009