• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my 10yr old daughter to do class work?

My daughter is 10 and in the 5th grade. Her teacher says she is one of the smartest kids in her class. However, she refuses to do her class work. She is only passing her class because she scores so high on her test. Her teacher says that when asked why the work is not done that my daughter just says that she didn't want to do it. I have no problems with her doing homework or any of her chores at home. I have taken everything away, stopped letting play sports, stopped letting her stay the night at her grandparents and friends houses. How can I solve this problem?

JennClink7

Asked by JennClink7 at 1:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• i would ask the teacher for all the work that she did not do in class and have her do it all at home (like homework). hopefully she will hate it and end up doing it in class knowing she'll have to just do it anyway at home. sometimes kids who are smart or think they're smart, feel like not all rules apply to them and they don't need the practice because they already know it all. Your daughter probably has heard you and her teachers say how smart she is so she might feel superior to her classmates. She needs to do her work like everyone else. she needs to know that to succeed she needs to be disciplined and responsible in addition to being smart. Being smart does not get anyone anywhere if they are too lazy to do what needs to be done or have a bad attitude or have an attitude of grandiosity. and saying that she didn't do her work because she "didn't fee like it", is disrespectful! oh man, kids are crazy!! LOL!
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 1:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• it also sounds like she is bored. i would do like the pp said and i would also see if the teacher could give her more difficult work or something....you could also talk to the school counselor. have you actually had a talk with your daughter. explain to her that you know she is smart enough to do this work. ask her if she is bored. ask her what she does when not doing class work. what are the teachers doing while she isnt doing class work? if they see her not doing class work, what consequences do they have? i mean obviously you can get her to do the work at home....

good luck....
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It sounds like she is bored and needs more stimulation. Ask the teacher if she completes her homework, if harder work can be given to her. My son is the same way and it is a chore to get him to even bring the work home. I just let him fail, there comes a point where the child needs to learn natural consequences of not doing her work. They need to take responsibility for their actions at some point. Mom and dad can't be there to hold their hands all the time. I hate to see my son fail but it may be the only way he learns.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I am having a similar issue with my 11 yr old daughter. She says homework is done, then I get progress report saying she's missing assignments in all but 1 class. My concern is that her best friend is being held back, and wonder if she's trying for the same. She's always gotten A's and B's-- this report she had a D and D+. And she's so angry, do hormones kick in at this age?
    DAY219

Answer by DAY219 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2009