Why does she behave this way?

My one month old daughter will wake up hungry or need her diaper changed, so we meet those needs. Sometimes, though, she'll be eating, and then, out of nowhere, she'll arch her back and start screaming or crying, when, right before that, she was content with just eating. Then there are times that she'll be happy, resting in our arms, and just start squirming around and get fussy. I try everything, but sometimes it doesn't work. This is my first child, so sometimes I feel at a loss. I have no idea how to get her to calm down, and I get so frustrated, when it seems like there's nothing I can do.

mom2bsoon83

Asked by mom2bsoon83 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sweetie i been through that with my first child. my son had a hard time with his stomache and his digestive system. when i would feed him he would arch his back too...try burping her between ounces she eats. and then try to see if her belly is kinda hard little under the belly button area. she might have gas or poop pressure...and for the times that she burst out crying, try to pick her up and just dance with her and sing a simple song (ABC'S, twinkle lil star, mary had a little lamb) or hold her close to your chest and humm the tunes softly towards her ear. or lay over here and sing or talk to her. when you get to you breaking point put the baby in a safe place and walk away for a few seconds... i hope some of these ideas work for you...
    msangie2003

Answer by msangie2003 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• This isn't unusual behavior, I'm afraid! She might have gas. Or might be overloaded from a long day of new stimuli.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It sounds like she could have got air and bubbles in her belly, try burping her more often. My son would get gassy alot and cry...i didnt know what it was until my sis told me to give him gas med.s
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• yeah it does sound like she has a burp in there. my daughter does this and at fist i didnt know what was up until my mom said she probably needed to be burped, and she did it it came out and she was fine.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Anytime my son did that he either needed to burp, or the nipple on his bottle was clogged. It was usually needing to burp though.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2009