How soon can the sex of the baby be detected?

I didn't have my ultrasound to determine the gender till I was about 21...but it also took me forever to get health insurance and get actual pre-natal care.

Someone is saying she is having a boy but is also saying she is only 13 weeks pregnant...I thought it couldn't be detected till at least 16 weeks.

Just wondering!

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 1:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The gender of the fetus determines itself at 13 weeks, but is not visible until 16 weeks or more. At 13 weeks, the indifferent penis (a penis with a vaginal opening) either begins to shrink down into a clitoris or the vaginal opening closes and it grows into a penis. Any time before 16 weeks the gender can be misread (which happened with my goddaughter, who we were told was a godSON until the day before the baby shower. The original ultrasound had been at 14 weeks. The second ultrasound was at 22 weeks.) To avoid the confusion, doctors generally will not perform a gender prediction ultrasound until 18 weeks or more. If your friend was able to determine the sex of her baby, it's better to assume she may be further along than what they originally thought.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 1:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was 18 weeks when I found out the sex of my baby #3 & baby #4
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• She's not my friend. I'm honestly trying to catch her in a lie because she's trying to say she's pregnant with my husband's baby again. I don't think she's even pregnant because she's lied about it before. Its driving me crazy.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 1:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well if you're trying to catch her in a lie, you've definitely caught her here.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 1:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• she didnt find out at 13 weeks lol . ultra sound techs wont even look that early .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2009