How can i help get my newborns umbilicord stump to come off?

i have a newborn goin on 2 weeks old n still has her little stump.

msangie2003

Asked by msangie2003 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just keep cleaning normal and I assume ask the doctor at there check up. my daughters fell off like 8 days in so im not 100% sure.
    ah2590

Answer by ah2590 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• just have to wait.
    avoid tub baths until it comes off.
    it can take to 3-4 weeks sometimes
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• dap it daily with rubbing alchol
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son had his until he was 4 weeks old to the day. It fell off at his check-up when the nurse was drawing blood. Just let it fall off when it is ready to.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You are not supposed to use alcohol anymore. Jut leave it be. It will come off when it's time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• well, if you dont use your head, (i know i DIDNT) let her sleep in her diaper and a crochet blanket. it will pull it right off. I am never making that mistake again. she was fine, but it did bleed a little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have always heard to use those alcohol pads and just rub the outside 2x a day
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 1:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• No, doctors tell you now that you shouldn't use alcohol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you're using alcohol on it, consider stopping; it keeps infection at bay but can also delay the cord stump falling off. I used alcohol on my first baby's cord stump because that's what I thought you "had" to do... found out otherwise, and didn't use any alcohol on my next three babies' cord stumps -- zero problems and the cord fell off faster.

If you give her baths or get the cord wet, make sure it air dries well before covering it up - a cord that is frequently damp may also take longer to come off.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my dr told me to not use alcohol also... it will come off shes still new my daughters didnt come off until about 4 1/2 -5 weeks.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009