• In the Spotlight:

Is this truely normal?!

My daughter (16 months) throws herself to the floor in a fit anytime something doesnt go her way. Like today she was trying to get her baby doll to sit in a very small bus toy. Well once she relized that the doll couldnt fit in there, she threw herself to the ground screaming. Another example, if she needs a drink I tell her "Okay mommy is going to go to the kitchen to fill your cup for you." Then I get up and proceed to the kitchen and she throws a fit. I feel like she is angry all day long, over the dumbest things. I try to calmly talk to her about things, and she just gets angrier. Her doctor keeps telling me this is typical toddler behavior. Is he telling me the truth? lol.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds normal to me. All three of my boys acted that way at one time or another.

When they start the crying, before they throw themselves back I would just lay them down on the floor. That way they can't get injured by throwing themselves down.

Just remember that this too shall pass.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• yes that's true. some kids are more stubborn and moody than others so you'll get moms who will tell you that they have no clue because their child would never do that, or that they would never allow it! don't listen to them. as long as you are not giving in to her demands and not paying too much attention to her, she will learn that tantrums will get her nowhere. good luck! hang in there...
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 1:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• it's pretty typical I think.
    I suggest you just ignore her- as much as we adults- with adult reasoning- want to talk to them calming to explain or get them to to see reason- it's not gonna happen until they out grow it. They think & reason like a toddler- not an adult.
    Just ignore her.

fill her cup and set it on the table where she can see it and when she's done throwing a fit she can go get it.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I just ignore my son when he throws himself on the floor and starts crying. Eventually he either falls asleep or stops. I used to try to distract him, but he remembers what it was that upset him and goes to it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• DD is 14 months and doing the same thing right now. Just wait until they get older, it gets much more dramatic. My 4 year old makes me laugh at how dramatic she can be sometimes.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I too just ignore her.. I tell her she can cry all she wants and she will get a hug and kiss once she is done crying and comes to me. She does fall on ground and roll and kick and scream and calm down after a few minutes and then comes to me. I dont give in to her demand though... because thats how they learn they are not going to get everything they want and they will learn to handle the disappointment. Lot of times their frustration is mainly because they cant talk and express what they want...
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 6:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• yeah normal. All kids go through that phase. Mine has just started at 3. Just don't react to it and they sto0p.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Just keep helping her through her frustrations. it takes time. As she gets more verbal she'll be able to communicate more things to you, which makes it a lot better. Once our daughter started learning to ask for "help" these fits diminished drastically. JUst talk her thought it... remind her to ask for help if something's not working. When you go up to get her water, tell her calmly that you're getting it and then ignore any fits that ensue... This kind of behavior ebbs and flows, in my opinion, but a lot of it's about communication and independence, things that toddlers are always working toward...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• some kids do..some kids dont..but those that do..it is perfectly 'normal'..compare notes and especially ages..alot of moms will be saying..ahhha..good luck momma..you will be fine.. .
    ta2craze

Answer by ta2craze at 2:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2009