Question about my 8 year old taking things

I don't really think this is o big of a deal but....my 8 year old went out to my sister in laws car looking for one of his toys and took her 1/2 dollar. She says he has been admiring it and she told him she would get her one. Well, I asked him about it and he gave it right to me. Later he said he was very sorry and felt bad, he just wasn't thinking when he took it. I took away his favorite toy for a week and spanked him. Was I too harsh? To lenient?? Just looking for feedback!!

Annette4797

Asked by Annette4797 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you might have been a little harsh. And please understand, I am not judging you in any way, just giving my opinion. I think at the point where your son gave it back & apologized & was remorseful, he had pretty much punished himself. I think a better way to make amends would have been to make him apologize & give it back to his aunt. I can understand taking away a toy b/c that way he learns what it is like to lose something that you love but spanking seems a bit much. He was already sorry--he had learned the lesson. What was to be gained by physically hurting him? I believe the punishment should fit the crime & I can't see where spanking fit in this situation.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't think you were too hard. Stealing is stealing whether one calls it admiring it or not, you don't take things that don't belong to you. Your child will most likely look back on this moment at an older age and remember the time he took something that didn't belong to him, how he was punished and use this as a tool before he tries something much more foolish later.

Good job on the follow through.

Some people don't believe in spankings, I do. There is a difference between spanking and abuse. Spanking, in my opinion, is part of parenting. It sucks when I have to do it but I explain to my son why he is getting a spanking, the spanking happens and then we discuss what he needs to do to change his behavior so he doesn't get another spanking.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• No you were not too harsh however I would have your son give the 1/2 dollar back and apologize himself.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• He did the give the 1/2 dollar back and did apoligize. Thanks for the feedback.
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2009