So I am curious before I go to bed.....

I never go into General Parenting and a mom asked when she can put her baby in a walker and after several helpful answers a mom asks (and doesn't explain why she states this) ..."Why on earth would you want to put your baby in a walker"? WTH does that even mean? I asked her theory but I know it is late. Is there something IDK about?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 3:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Everything in moderation is the key. Tummy Time and crawling are very important, but sometimes time in a walker or a playtime saucer are also good.

Why did she say it like that? Because this is CafeMom and women who think their way is right feel like it's ok to treat everyone else like garbage.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 5:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well its not recommended because it delays walking development and babies are prone to accidents in them.
    Mom's overuse walkers and think its going to help their babies walk but thats not the case.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Mmmmm maybe she thought she was referring to like an old person's walker? Or maybe thebaby was way to young to be in a walker. Or maybe she was just against walkers some people think you are a lazy mommy if you put em in walkers..
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• A lot of doctors now tell you not to use them. Something about working the wrong muscles (delays walking) and the risk for injury
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• All I know is I used one 40 years later I still know how to walk. lol, I was just curious why she wouldn't just have said what you all just said. Almost as if to make the OP feel dumb. IDK,
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Hmmm, I don't know about that. I used a walker with my kids and they never had delayed walking. They both actually walkd earlier then I though they would. They were both around 10 months old and did great!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It isn't the walking that is the problem. It is the crawling. Or, lack thereof. Babies who walk early tend to crawl less. Crawling is vitally important in the physical development of core muscles and as they are now learning, it is important in brain development. Children who don't develop this way often have learning disorders. (This is directly from DS11 physical therapist)
    Walkers are not the problem, eliminating tummy time is the problem.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I never used a walker with my son won't with my daughter or next child either
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 3:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• everyone is paranoid about them because there have been accidents....
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 3:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We used a walker with our first but not our second. Our first walked way sooner then our second. And he never got hurt in his walkler either. Just watch your kids while they're in them and accidents can be prevented.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2009