staying up and sleeping in

i know a family with 3 kids.. a school age boy and 2 toddlers.. that go to sleep around 1-3 am every night and wake up around noon to 1. the boy who goes to school sleeps slightly earlier than the rest of his family but still doesnt have a standard set bed time. what do you other mommy's think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the poster meant to post this as a point for discussion about the topic, not necessarily ABOUT these people specifically. I think with toddlers and non-working parents the hours don't matter much...but how do you send a kid to school after 5 or six hours of sleep on a regular basis? I am not RIGID about bedtimes, but I think you have to get the family into a routine that works for the kids who have to go to school....If you have to wake them up for school. That is my opinion about the subject....not a judgement about others and I promise I won't run over to that family's home and force them to go to bed early!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Uhmmm. It is 12:20 and my 14 yo is next to me on another computer and my dd9 is in her room reading. My 11 yo son fell asleep.
    I don't have a bedtime for my kids, they sleep as needed. Dad works graveyard so we are on a late schedule.
    I think it is a different family dynamics. Sorry, but this is a clear cut case of MYOB.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thats my schedule too...my toddler just cant seem to get to bed any earlier then 2am no matter what. It's how life plays out for us I guess.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• What difference does it make when a family sleeps? They sleep don't they? My kids go to bed at 8pm, and wake up at 8am. I go to bed when I darn well please. :-P
    The kids used to go to bed at midnight and wake up at noon. It's all the same to me, they slowly worked their way to an early/early schedule and I just don't care, as long as they sleep as much as they need I'm happy.
    AnyaV

Answer by AnyaV at 5:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well, I personally wouldn't do it, but so what? Not my family, not my kids, so how is it my business? Are they abused or neglected in any way? If not, then stay out of it.. You don't agree with it, but that doesn't make it wrong.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think it all depends on the family, I wouldn't do it because I think kids need a bedtime and parents need downtime.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Why do you care when they sleep? If they aren't living in your house or swomething, it's none of your business, You have too much time on your hands if you are worrying about something like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I stil have younger kids. We have a 4 year old and a 12 month old and they both are bathed and in bed by 7:30 pm every night. Somes on Fridays or Saturdays we will let the oldest stay up until 8 if he is behaving well. Then they are both up between 6-7:30 the next morning.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think all kids, including teens need a set bed time. Keeping children up late so they sleep in so you can be lazy is not helping them. What happens when they go to school? How are they to adapt if they are used to sleeping PAST lunch time? What lazy parents!!
    Anonymous