Did you marry the kind of man you thought you would marry when you were growing up? Do you have the life you thought you would?

Did you marry the type of man you thought you would marry when you were growing up? I didn't. I grew up in NYC and had thought I would marry a stock broker, or some other buisness type, live in penthouse in Manhattan, work full time and have a nanny helping out with the kids... With facebook and all of those type sites I'm running into old HS and College friends. When i tell them I am married to a South Missisippi Army Man, they all kind of gasp with confusion. They are even more shocked that I now live in the south. LOL They tell me about there city lives and I start to wonder a little. I LOVE my husband, and our children, and the life we have built. They all ask me the question though how did i end up doing the total opposite of what i wanted to... I never have answer for them, bc I have no clue how I got here, I am just happy that I am. But its just not how I ever imagined living.

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 7:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• 'cont' Even my parents are a little thrown off by my life. My father never in a million years would have thought i would live out in the country with chickens, and goats and cows, well pretty much a small farm LOL. He said to me the other day "if someone would have told me when you were growing up that this is where you would be I would have cracked up laughing at the mere thought of my city girl living out in the sticks" And I kind of had to agree with him. I never thought that this would be my life.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 7:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• well. you are very happy nonetheless so next time someone asks you how you got there simply reply with "it was just written in my book" Everyone has a book...we all have a life we are suppose to live and nothing changes it. Every single thing in our day is meant to be that way...I am growing up to be how I wanted my life to be and I did marry the man I wanted to marry. I picked and choose at a young age of 18 who I wanted and where I wanted to go. 21 now and I strive to have the happy beautiful life I have and want for my future for both I and my hubby and son! :)
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I thought I would marry a college professor and be a professor myself, live on campus in a small old beautiful house, be involved in campus activities. Instead I live in the boonies, married a businessman, teach older people. A fine life, just not what I had thought.

Answer by Bmat at 7:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I never thought I was the type to get married. I never thought about it or planned for it. It wasn't until the day I met my DH, when I was 26, that I even considered marriage. Since I didn't have any expectations, I can't say I ended up married to someone different than I thought I would.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I NEVER IMAGINE WHO I WOULD MARRY, ALL I KNEW WAS THAT THERE WOULD BE LOTS OF LOVE TO MAKE IT LAST, AND I HAVE AND IT HAS BEEN 38 YEARS. HAVE NEVER REGRETED MARRYING A STUDENT AND BECOMING A LAWYERS WIFE, I HAVE HAD A WONDERFUL LIFE WITH THREE AWESOME KIDS THAT I AM PROUD OF, LIFE IS GOOD!

Answer by older at 7:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I thought I would of married a real tall man, usually that is what I liked, My husband is about 5'9", is still taller than me, at one time dated someone 6'5". I am content with him, and kids, almost 10 years now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I dont have a comment - actually i am to lazy to write it out. But this is a great question. I smiled when reading it Vanes. :)
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 8:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• well in my hometown you either move away and marry or marry and raise your family there. I always knew I was getting out cause I didn't want to be married to a farmer, cheese plant worker or the hospital. I didn't expect to marry a military man, travel the world and have three wonderful kids. The only thing besides moving that was something I hoped was for a tall husband. I do not find shorter men attractive. He's 6'3" to my 5'2". I am perfectly happy!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT think I would live this life; the one I'm living now. I expected to get married, have a couple of kids and work full time. Not in a million years did I think my Hubby would be a Youth Pastor of a church and quite frankly my friends from HS/College would just about die knowing it too. However, I love every minute of it and I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm thankful that my life is not what I previously wrote it out to be!
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 8:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• haha, when I was younger I always said I was never getting married at all!!
    Honestly though, I never really had any specific expectations of the type of man I would marry or where I would live. I remember wanting to marry a guy who was tough looking and played guitar, haha. My husband does look tough (but he is a big sweetie) and he does play guitar. :) We live in a nice neighborhood and we are very blessed and we are happy, that is all that matters.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2009