Need some clarity on christianity aspects...

Okay I have always believed in God and since day one to now I have been introduced into three different religions. Mormon, Catholic and Christian. I attended church in all religions. Now I understand what I am worshiping I am confused on weather a catholic or christian church is for me. What is the difference between a catholic and a christian. I found it VERY uncomfortable to attend the catholic churches but my hubby family is all catholic so its being pushed...and I feel very close and uplifting with christian churches but I just dont feel like i have enough knowledge to attend any of them. ADVICE please!! Thanks ladies.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics are christians. Most people seem to apply the term "christian" to assorted protestant denominations. That is not accurate. Catholics are the original christians.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Okay so why does hubby's family feel the need to make me a "catholic"? I was attending a christian church and I believe in the same morals, what does it matter? They think I'm going to hell because of this. I just want to be sure I am doing the right thing and following the right path.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was raised Catholic and while it may be "true" that Catholic is the original church, it doesn't necessarily make it the "right" one. The Catholic religion is very "formal". It contains specific rules and rituals that are very much church-based but don't have a whole lot to do with Jesus (IMO). Some people desire the formality and the "routines" of it. And there's nothing wrong with it. But ME, I want to learn about JESUS and follow the path and the teachings that HE laid out, not necessarily the path laid out by a bunch of old church leaders. There are a lot of wonderful CHRISTIAN churches that are a lot less "restrictive" and a lot more spiritually fulfilling. I think you have to follow the path that is right for you. Personally, I go to a UNITY church because they encourage "personal walks with Jesus and GOD", rather than a group thing that the Catholic Church does.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You are following the right path when YOU are happy in the church you are attending. No one else can make that decision for you. There are slight differences in how Catholics and other christian denomenations worship. I know that catholics call their services mass, while most other christians just call it church or service. And I know that taking communion is a big part of the Catholic religion. And they seem to put more stock in the Virgin Mary then most other religions do and they believe in the saints as well. Other then that, I'm not sure.
    But I would say that if you are happy going to the church you are attending keep going there. Tell his family that your heart is telling you that you need to be at the church you are at, and if they can't understand that, then they should just pray for you and let it be. Maybe one day you will change your mind.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Catholicism is very ritualistic and symbolic and has some beliefs that are quite different from the average christian. Actually, I say that, but nowadays, I am not even sure what the average christian believes because so many people have their own way of doing things. ANyway, I don't think its right for them to be trying to convert you. If there wasnt all that much difference in the two faiths, then they wouldnt be trying to sway you their way. Its quite different. Definitely do not just settle on something that youre not completely comfortable with. I know I would feel really out of place in a catholic church...well, I feel really out of place in a baptist church too, so thats nothing new...LOL I can't tell you whats right for you. I know what I believe to be absolute Truth, but thats something that you have to find for yourself. Ask God to really show you what he wants you to do and how he wants you to handle this subject
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I would go with what you are comfortable in. I have been in both services and i know that catholic services are not for me. For some yes, not me. I enjoy the worship and the messages and the fellowship at my church. I would tell you to find what is comfortable for you and what you like to attend and where you get fed the word of God. That has always been a big thing for me. Do i get the word here or is it watered down, or just off from what the word says and just someone's interpretation? But go with what you like. Dont be forced to go one place or another. Go with what your heart is saying. God bless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think Catholics have more books in their bible. They are Christians. I would research and read both bibles myself and make an informed decision. I think being Catholic is too complicated for me. But you have his family to help you. I also look at all the problems Catholic churches have and they have turned the pope into God. I do not like that but maybe their bible tells them to..IDK.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• you should always go with your gut. if something doesn't feel right, don't do it. you are an adult and capable of making your own choices. if one church 'feels' better, continue there. it wouldn't hurt to learn about the other church/beliefs/sacraments/etc..for harmony within your marriage, not with the inlaws. you live with your husband, not his family. this is something that is detrimental to happy marriages (disagreement on church-attendence)--research and learn, talk to your husband, and do what's right for you and your immediate family. your inlaws don't matter in this decision.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You make decision by yourself with your whole heart, read the bible god is every where, he lives inside us, we know god is love so when you show love to everyone near by it means god is within you then why we have need to find who is right and who is wrong,When you do bible studies you will know who you are and what you have to do. Just spread love when you love yourself you will start loving the world and when you do that everything change for you, when you go to church see in which church the real love is living alive and that's where the god's deciples are so go make your own decision, don't argue with your hubby's family try to tell them with love what you like and what not, they will understand and let you make your own desicion.
    Have a happy and joyous lovable days.
    harjohan

Answer by harjohan at 10:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

OP:  It's not just Catholism that often feels the need to convert others.  I grew up Southern Baptist (though I am not anymore).  baptist churches, or at least the people in them often preach against the philosophies of another denomination.  It doesn't mean that the whole denomination thinks you will burn in hell for not being a part of it....some individuals might, but not necessarily whole denomination.

Catholics are very ritualistic where as protistants are a bit more "free" in their worship.  Both have the ultimate goal in mind though (being salvation)

cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009