vicatin!!!??? (sp?)

I am 5 months pregnant and have to get a surgery done on my toe (ingrown toenail) soon. The doctor said for me to call my obgyn and make sure that it was ok to prescribe vicatin for pain afterwards. I was sure he would say no and suggest something else.. he said it would be fine! I am still unsure.. has anyone taken it or something similar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't take vicodin, but did take Loritab for hip pain. Loritab and vicodin are both Hydrocodone. Vicodin is acetaminophen and hydrocodone together.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• tons of doctors say that it is ok...but moderation is important. Try not to take it, if you can bare the pain. If you have to take it take as little as possible. Ask your doctor/obgyn about the side affects it will have on the baby and lactation as well! GL..ouchy about the toe (
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had mine removed (ouch!) and I just took tylenol. Call your Dr., but I wouldn't risk taking such a strong narcotic while pregnant. Keep it elevated and change your bandage (might help to soak in water first) regularly.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• found this online:

Hydrocodone, which is related to codeine, and acetaminophen, which is a less potent pain reliever but increases the effects of hydrocodone. Combined, Vicodin is suggested for the treatment of moderate to severe pain.

Despite there having been no major studies on the use of Vicodin in pregnant women, medical advice states that this drug should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. It has been found that babies who are born to mothers who have been taking opioids regularly prior to delivery will be physically dependent, and will suffer withdrawal symptoms after birth. In mothers who are taking narcotics shortly before delivery, there may be a degree of respiratory depression in the newborn baby, especially if higher doses are taken.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• im pretty sure they won't give you vicoden while you're pregnant. its a fairly strong narcotic.
    in my first trimester, i had a root canal and they prescribed me darvocet. my doc said that would be okay, as long as i only took it as prescribed, or less if i could stand the pain.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• oh! i misread that! your doc said it was okay????
    thats weird...
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yeah, Vicodin and Lortab are basically the same thing. The amts of tylenol in them are different. Its okay in moderation during pregnancy. One here and one there won't hurt you. I took a few of them for a chronic condition and my BFF has severe kidney stones. She had to take them the last few months of her pregnancy and he was fine. She was really worried about it, but it was necessary in her case.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had surgery and I was given Vicodin for the pain, even though I was breast feeding. All my doctors said it was fine. But I agree with the mom who said moderation is important. If you can bear the pain, don't take it.
    HUmama

Answer by HUmama at 8:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had to have my gall bladder emoved last month and they prescribed me vicodin too. I made sure to ask every nurse and dr. that it was ok so I could breastfeed and all said yes.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I guess I'm a freak... I cut out my own toenails lol

Why pay for something you can do yourself?!
    Anonymous