What's the difference between Girl Scouts and 4-H?

Just wondering if anyone has familiarity with both organizations and which one you would recomend over the other.

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 8:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 4-H is for 5th grade and up.... Girl Scouts starts in kindergarten.

4-H is coed

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• 4H is farm orientated. The kids raise farm animals and show them. They learn all about the animals and farming.

Girl Scouts focus on helping the community and personal growth.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 8:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• they both teach responsibility. 4h does it through the care, keeping, and showing of farm animals, girl scouts does it in a broader spectrum (doing good deeds to earn badges, selling cookies, volunteer work, etc...).
    i was in both, as a kid, and then was a girl scout leader for a while. if you're looking to get your kids involved, you won't be disappointed! they're both a ton of fun and a great way to learn.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• 4H has more than farm animals. they have lots of activities. they have mini-4H from K-2nd grade. and real 4H starts in 3rd grade, not 4th. You can look online to get info about it. however, most kids want to do animals. they do crafts, scrap booking, collections (leaf, bug, etc), and lots of other things.

I don't know much about girl scouts, but i did a little research into 4H because my SD wanted to do it, but she wanted to do the animals and we can't do that.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• They are two totally different organizations which work with kids in two totally different areas.

Both, however, teach responsibility, community, work to boost the self esteem, etc.

4H is not only for farming. It's much broader than that.

I was in both growing up. I liked them both, they were different enough that each kept my interest.

I strongly urge you to call your local offices and ask your questions there!! I do know 4H starts a bit older than Girl Scouts. But both are great organizations!!

(oh, and if you watch it, the 4H project can also warn a LOT of badges in Girl Scouts!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:24 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think at ages 5-8 your dd only qualifies for girl scouts. It will involve community projects, resposiblity, camping...lots of fun!

Later when she is old enough you can join 4-H. You usually specialze in a few areas in 4H...could be sewing, cooking, flower arranging, painting or animals..they have tons of categories.

Both are great organizations. I am a girl scout leader now and we are having so much fun!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• They have mini-4H projects around here for the younger folks. some of the projects are baking cupcakes, bug collections, etc. the oldest you can do mini-4H is 2nd grade
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• 4-h is for animal loverz and girl scouts is cookie lovers..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was in 4h for 10 years. it is more than farming. While I lived in a rural community and did show animals I knew plenty of people who didn't. you can start in mini 4h in 1st grade. there are projects for everyone's interests. I highly recommend 4H because of the speaking opportunities and such. Girl scouts is just for girls and they don't do the projects and such like 4H. My DD just started in girl scouts and if you are going to pick just one of them I would pick 4 H.

fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We don't have 4-H here (since we're in the middle of the city) but my girls do Girl Scouts and the quality totally depends on the troop. I have 1 in Daisies and 1 in Brownies and they do nothing. They meet twice a month after school and so far they have only done some art projects. They've done 2 field trips the entire school year. One was a bowling party before Christmas break and the other was a zoo trip over Easter break (that my girls didn't go on because they hadn't behaved all month). My 8yo hasn't brought any patches home and the leader isn't planning on handing them out until the last day which is dumb because it's her last year of Brownies and she will never wear the uniform again so there is no point to put the patches on. She NEVER gets to show them off now.
    So so far...GS is just dumb. They haven't learned anything or done much and my 8yo is bored and she isn't going to do it next year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2009