My daughter will use the potty at her grandma's, but refuses at home.

My daughter is 2 & 2 months. She used to use the potty when we 1st got it months ago, but since October when I take off her diaper, she'll pee/poo right in the floor & it's getting worse- she used to tell me about the accidents, now I find them. However, my mother-in-law has great success. She gives her quarters for her bank each time she uses the potty. I tried this & I still get nothing. I even made her a treat bucket that she gets to pick from a variety of rewards: candy, coloring paper & crayons, etc. The potty is very accessible- the living room where she plays. Granted, Grandma can be with her every second of everyday she's there & I have to clean, run errands, & now take care of my 2 week old son as well. I thought she just wasn't ready, but now that I know it's just at home she refuses I think it's time.

mrsvedaj

Asked by mrsvedaj at 8:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't agree that you should be so afraid of pushing your daughter that she isn't trained until 4. That seems like an insult to her intelligence. I think a small amount of nudging is necessary to give our kids the chance to learn something new and show what they're capable of. My daughter trained at 19 months with very few glitches. She wasn't developmentally advanced, we just took away the diapers and she learned. She's not traumatized, she's just coming up on two and doesn't have to sit in her own poop anymore. She likes it. What we did was took away diapers and said no more (we kept her in pull-ups for naptime and bedtime), we put her in underwear and watched her closely for a few days, every time she started to have an accident moved her to the potty. It took a little work and staying home for a few days, but she was asking us to go potty in no time. Don't make a big deal, just show her you expect her to go potty now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My daughter wore diapers until she was four; we never, ever pushed the potty. No, she did not have developmental issues. She said her first word at 7.5 months; her first sentence at 18 months, and started reading and figured out how to tie her shoes just after she turned 4.
    Leave her in diapers, and tell her that she gets her big girl panties back when she is ready to stop having accidents.
    One more thing, relax!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Its funny how kids will do things for others and act in ways that they won't act at home. I don't think I have ever seen a child NOT do this. Sounds like shes just being cooperative for grandma and giving you a hard time because youre mom. I left my 3 yr old with my mil for 4 days and he was perfect. He got home and all hell broke loose....LOL....Its possible that she does need a bit more time. Shes pretty young, but you know now that SHE CAN do it. I think I would lay off her for awhile and while shes at gmas, then have her reinforce the potty training. It won't be long and she will be doing it for you too.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2009