If you sit too close to the television it will ruin your eyes??

My mom used to tell my sister and I that when we were little. My two year old sits very close to the TV and I have to tell him to slide back all the time. But Im thinking is that really true about ruining your eyesight. What is your opinion about that?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 8:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Okay, I took a child development class a couple years ago and was told that new research suggests that this old saying isn't true for young children. In adults sitting too close to the television IS bad for your eyes, BUT in children (I don't know what age it's suggested to move back a bit) it's not bad for their eyes because a child's eyes do not have the same structure as an adult's eyes. In the class we were told that it's actually fine for kids to sit up close, because they focus much differently than we do as adults. Not trying to argue with any other posters, just thought I would tell you what I learned in my class. I would consider it very reliable, up to date information.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I believe it can ruin your eye sight. Especially in children where there eyes are still growing. I always tell my kids not to sit too close to the TV.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Nope. I even asked our eye doctor about it. But if they insist on being that close all the time, it's a good time to get their eyes checked to make sure there isn't a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son does the same thing. I agree with anon, the doc said it was fine and it wouldnt ruin his eyes.
    tish0607

Answer by tish0607 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• "Before the 1950s, television sets emitted levels of radiation that after repeated and extended exposure could have heightened the risk of eye problems in some people. Now however televisions are not the same, they are fare better. They no longer emit radiation. So the saying is no longer true"

www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com

Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It will rot your brain, though

Answer by rkoloms at 11:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• No, it will not ruin their eyesight, I asked the eye doctor and pediatrician and they both told me the same thing. My eye doctor is also my uncle, so there is no reason for him to tell me something that isn't true.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Idk lol I was always told that standing too close to the tv will ruin your eyes. My son does the same thing. He stands very close to the TV it bothers my eyes lol. I dont know if it is true but I am going to continue to tell my son to stay away from the tv because I dont want to test that theory on him.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 4:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009