When did you tell your kids there was no tooth fairy,easter bunny, or Santa?

Yesterday my 8yr. old son came home and asked me if the tooth fairy was real. He just lost another tooth a couple of days ago and was telling friends at school and they were telling him there was no such thing it was just his parents leaving him money. I was caught off gaurd and so I kept the lie going. I don't mind if he knows the truth. I just don't want him ruining it for his younger brothers and sister. He has a big mouth and doesn't keep secrets very good. I was an only child so I don't know how to handle this with more kids involved. My hubby just wants to tell him later today and hopes he keeps quite. But I don't know please Help!!!!

bigmommaofthree

Asked by bigmommaofthree at 9:14 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 8 yr old is now piecing it together that there isn't tooth fairy, easter bunny and santa clause, but he is an only child so there are now worries that he spill the beans...
    But if your child knows the truth and it doesn't bother him, just tell him that your siblings don't know and it's a kinda'v magick to them and that he is older now and can actually help you more during these holidays...
    Kids are smart... I be he goes along with it too....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• the tooth fairy never but al of us kids just figured it out on our own....never got told and thats what i plan on doing with my kids....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My boys are 8 & 10 and they both tell me all the time that they know we are the real tooth fairys....but they still believe in santa. I just play it off and tell them no we are not the tooth fairy but i wish i was so i could have lots of money too give lol. They just laugh but i think they know and they like the silly answers i give them in return. I just want them to be innocent for as long as they can so if they still believe in santa i'm happy with that!
    justmenmyboys

Answer by justmenmyboys at 10:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I never have came right out and admitted. Mine is 13 and has sat me down to say, "mom, I know they aren't real. It's ok to just say it." I just give him his stuff without any big deal now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Just let him wonder I kind of joke around with my kids like Easter for example they were suspicion of me but I said Peter Rabbit was here and told me to tell you to go look for the eggs he has hidden they both said yeah right especially my son he 7. my daughter 5 did not care but I know it won't be long before they know the truth. I thought of telling my son the truth but he is just like your son big mouth and will tell my daughter so if I were you I would just let him continue to wonder and tell him his friends are mean to tell you that and smile...comeon it is only a small fun white lie for just alittle while. Have fun
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I've never told my kid that they are real, not a big fan of lying when it's not necessary.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We don't tell our kids about the easter bunny, santa, or toothfairy.... It's lying to them and it's gunna break their heart when they find out the truth. And I don't wanna give credit to things that don't exist. I'm the one buying them stuff, not made up "people". So we never told them in the first place. We've told our daughter that they are pretend. She knows about them, but knows they're not real. She thinks they are like cartoons.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son is 5 and when he was 4 he started to say "mom, what's inside the Easter Bunny." I just say "bunny guts." He knows that there is something inside. As for Santa he believes in him but at our community tree lighting Santa showed up and it was our neighbor!!!!!
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't think that having a child believe in those things "means lying to them and breaking their hearts when they learn the truth" It's about the wonder and excitement of being a kid for God's Sake. Once they know the truth, chances are, it won't "scar them" If you raised mature kids, they will be fine with it. My 9 year old son is piecing it together, I don't think he would spill the beans to his little sister. If he does, then he does.
    Anonymous

• It absolutely does not break their heart to find out the truth after they are older!!!!!!  It hurts not getting to celebrate the magic when they are kids. Why not let them have awe inspiring magic and not introduce them to the cold hard adult world so soon. I had loads of fun when I thought they were real and while playing the part for my son. I feel so sorry for your kids. That don't get to have imaginations and fantasies. Wheres the fun in just knowing mom and dad put it in there. I love the look on a little ones face when they believe in these things and get to wake up to what was left. Way better than greedily running to see what the parents left. My son alsways stopped to see if Santa ate the cookies and if the reindeer ate the magic food on the lawn. The awe on his face was priceless.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2009