how much formula should a 12 week old eat per feeding?

my son is 12 weeks and he eats 6oz every 3-4 hours is that normal? sometimes at night he'll even go crazy and wont fully fall asleep until he gets a full 8oz...
am i over feeding him?

emily_w

Asked by emily_w at 9:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no my daughter was eating 6 1/2 oz at 3 months and the doc said as long as you are burping them after like every oz or so let the baby eat however much they want...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You can't over feed. If they take too much, they spit it back up.

A 12 week old should eat as much as said 12 week old wants to eat. Honestly, compared to my guys, he's hardly eating anything!! lol

My guys each took 8oz every 2-3 hours starting at 6 weeks!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't know in my opinion at that age they should still be EBF. I can tell you that for a breast breastfed baby you expect 8 to 10 wet diapers a day.and of course steady growth. Also he may be having a growth spurt so prehaps increase the amount or frequency of feedings.

HTH
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 9:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I breastfed, so I'm not too sure how much my son was eating. But I think that the 2nd answer was probably right, let them eat as much as they want. I breastfed my son anytime he asked for it, so I think a formula fed baby should be the same
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 9:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• it might make you feel better to give 4 oz every two hours, or at least offer it. as long as dr. is ok with the baby's weight and other development then you're fine. all babies are different, my son would never have gone that long, he was a hungry lil guy.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

HTH

Umm, how does this answer the question at all? No one asked your opinion about breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• By 12 weeks of age, my son was up to 8oz of formual with about 1/4 c of cereal in it, every 3-4 hours when he was awake, he was a HUNGARY boy. So no, you aren't over feeding him, and dont' worry about it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Oh and before anyone has a fit about me putting cereal in his bottle, this WAS 15 years ago!! LOL
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I am guessing that, once the Nipple Nazis get wind of this question, you will get tons of replies about how "You should be breastfeeding", but just ignore them. My son's pediatrician told me that babies are not like goats, they will eat until they are full and then they will stop; so my guess is that you are giving your child the right amount. Let him eat as much as he needs and just trust your instincts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• laughingnipple nazi's! HAHAHAHA LMAO! i got my laugh for hte day! =D

ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 11:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2009