moms of kids who play ball...When your child gets hurt, do you?

Sit there and let the coach handle it?
stand up, with a very concerned look and wait for them to call you over?
go down to the fence and ask him if he/she is okay?
rush the field to your crying child to help comfort them?

I was just sitting here thinking about this after last nights game. I have 2 kids playing ball. My daughter plays first base, but my son volunteered to play catcher. Hes 7. Its pitching machine ball, so its fast and he kept getting hit with the ball. His gear only covers his chest, his knees, legs and face. He got hit in the hip and he doubled over crying. Then he got hit in the arm and poor kid began crying again. These balls leave whelps on them. THats how fast they are going. I stood up and watched as his coach talked to him and helped him up. My teenager couldnt stand to see him cry so she runs over to the fence to see him. THe mom behind us told her to stop babying him. What mom are you?

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 9:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My guy is only 5, but when he played last year (he was 4) when he got hurt, I let the coach handle it at first. If he was really hurt or the coach couldn't get him calmed either I was called out to get him or he was sent to me on the sidelines.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Depends on how seriously I think the injury is. Usually my daughter will cry over something but then say "I'm gonna be alright mommy" so I don't fuss over every little thing. If they're getting hit hard enough to leave welts, I would probably go over to the fence and make sure everything is alright.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If the ball is really leaving welts, I wouldn't let him play catcher anymore. I'm surprised they have a kid catching with a pitching machine. That doesn't seem right. I never know what to do either. My son has never gotten seriously hurt, thank god.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:07 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Welts are part of playing catcher until they start catching and not missing the ball. It takes practice. If he doesn't want to play catcher, then he should tell the coach what he wants.

Catching a pitching machine in a kids game is not like catching for teenagers or pros. There are different settings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I would have got my kid off the field after the second time the ball hit him at 7. Now my son who is 13, na he's old enough now to either walk away and tell the coach he needs a few moments or tough it out. Our 9 yr plays soccer and we've watched her going flying threw the field tripping on her own to feet and break out into hysteria, but once she saw us do nothing she calmed right down - shes the dram queen in our house, so we have to be carefull about how we react. Our oldest daughter did gymnastics and when she would fall off of something my husband and i would run down to her.

www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com

Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I am the type of mom that wants to run right out on the field, court, or where ever they are and make it all better. My husband has to hold me back and keep me calm until the time is right to go out and see them. I panic. Thank the Lord that nothing too serious has happened during a game.
    I remember when my 2nd second broke his ankle bad at a basketball practice once. I was 40 minutes away babysitting my niece and I get the call from my oldest son saying I D broke his ankle. I said how do you know? C said I just know. He wouldn't tell me anything else. By the time I got home, my husband just got to the house with D so that I could go with them to the hospital - I am glad that C did not tell me how he knew because I would have never been able to drive myself home. D now has screws in his ankle.
    sawmillgang

Answer by sawmillgang at 12:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My husband is the coach, so that helps. When my son (then 7) got a pitch to the face I ran to the fence and waited for him to walk off.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 12:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I was really curious about how other moms react. Hes my first boy, but my 3rd child. Hes not a wimp by anymeans, but I know it hurts. At 7 yrs old, they just arent quite skilled enough to catch every ball that comes at them from the machine, but there has to be a catcher. If its not my child getting hit, then it would be another moms kid. Positioning is everything and being that hes still learning it makes it hard. Plus the pitching machine is set differently every time. Last night, it was going over all the kids heads and thats why it was hard for him to catch them. Had he knelt down like he was supposed to, the ball would hit him in the head. We tried and even pleaded with them to adjust it, but they wouldnt do it. So after a few hits, he decides to stand back by the umpire and let the ball come to him. He said he was done playing that position. No one else wants to do it either.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We don't use a pitching machine in our league. I would switch leagues.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 1:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You can't switch leagues. Hes in the 7-8 yr old league. I am not going to put in in 5-6. He just had the misfortune of being the catcher...LOL....They have to learn to hit off of it sometimes...and catch the balls.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009