All Faith Discussion: Was Mary Magdelene Martha's sister?

(My non-Christian friends don't have to read the verse)
John 12:1-3
(1)Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. (2)Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. (3)Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

There is much discussion and speculation among scholars that Mary, the sister of Lazarus and Martha, was, in fact, Mary Magdalene. From my personal research, there is no concrete evidence stating such, but lots of circumstantial evidence that points in that direction.

What do you think?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• YES TO THE QUESTION THEY WHERE SISITER
    CHERRIBUZZIE

Answer by CHERRIBUZZIE at 9:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• cherribuzzie:

Do you have a link to an article to back that up? If not, what makes you think that?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have always been under the impression that yes they were and yes it was the same mary. That is one of my favorite stories. I like it because of the way she loved Jesus with her finest possession. I usually don't get into details about whom was whos sister or mother or whatnot. I have a hard time retaining details...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I suppose no one really knows - in the Catholic faith, Mary of Magdala is not the same woman as Mary of Bethany - they are different women. But some church traditions hold them to be the same woman. Mary was a common enough name that I think only how you choose to believe can answer the question, but there is no definitive yes or no for this questions. Too much lost history.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• No. Mary Magdalene was not Martha's sister. Mary Magdalene was a woman Jesus drove seven demons out of,and she became one of His most faithful followers. She is the one, along with Jesus' mother found the tomb empty after Jesus arose. Mary of Bethany was someone completely different. She, her sister Martha,and their brother Lazarus were very good friends of Jesus,but no, they aren't the same person.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• No they are not the same person. There were lots of Mary's back then. One was from Bethany and one was from Magdala. If Mary, Martha's sister was Mary Magdalene, she would be called by that name in that portion of scripture.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i dont think they are the same person. i agree w/ Cinnamon-mom that if they were the same person they would have been called the same name. i also would think that if it was Mary (Jesus' mom) & Mary (Laz's sis) at the tomb that Martha would have been mentioned also. but instead it says Mary Magdalene.

good question! ive never even thought about it before!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• They also believe they have found the family home of Mary Magdala. She came from a wealthy family but was banished to the streets where Jesus found her and saved her from the stoning.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think people waste their time trying to figure things like this out.IMO the Bible is meant to know God and know Jesus. The other people are supposed to be tools to help us learn about both God and Jesus and how both have helped them. Do not lose sight of what is important. GOD< AND>JESUS Mary or her sister.neighbor,brother,mother, are not God therefore learn from what good Jesus and God had done for them instead of learning about them personally. I know this is what they would have wanted. They never wanted to be a block to be used to lose sight of our Lord ,and Saviour. God bless.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Answered at 11:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 by: mo2a27

I think people waste their time trying to figure things like this out.IMO the Bible is meant to know God and know Jesus. The other people are supposed to be tools to help us learn about both God and Jesus and how both have helped them. Do not lose sight of what is important. GOD< AND>JESUS Mary or her sister.neighbor,brother,mother, are not God therefore learn from what good Jesus and God had done for them instead of learning about them personally. I know this is what they would have wanted. They never wanted to be a block to be used to lose sight of our Lord ,and Saviour. God bless.
    **

I think you misinterpreted my intentions here. My intention was not to draw focus away from God or Christ, but to ask a question to have an intellectual discussion over . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009