my son is covered in red spots

My son is 2 & he woke up today w/ red spots all over his face & neck a few on his arms & belly. Looks like chicken pox to me! Has anyone's kids had chicken pox even though they were vaccinated for it? What did it look like?

We are going to the doctor this afternoon, I really hope it's not chicken pox!

megmer

Asked by megmer at 9:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my doctor said there is no point to the vaccination because alot of kids get the chicken pox anyways even if they are vaccinated...
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Chicken pox looks like little puss filled pustules. They might start out as red dots, but multiply really soon and they start to look kind of puss filled. My kids ran a slight fever with theirs back in the day. Hope this helps. They were not vaccinated for it back then though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• there is usually a dew like drop on top of the red spots or at least some of them.. got a picture? anyway dont be upset natural immunity is the best immunity by far! just keep him home and comfortable
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my daughter was vaccinated and still got a really mild case of them just like your little one. she kinda of looked like she had the hives with a little puss in them.
    BUBKAYDAV

Answer by BUBKAYDAV at 9:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• There are many other reasons for a child to have red spots. Here are a few of the things my children have been through. Although none of my children have ever had the chicken pox nor have I we have experienced many other rash associated illnesses.

Allergic reaction to soaps, foods and plants.
    Scarlet Fever which is a severe case of Strepth Thoat that requires an antibiotic.
    Fifth Desease which is just the fifth series of a rash that requires an antibiotic.
    Kawasaki Desease which is a rare desease. Other signs of this is peeling of the fingers and toes, high fever, rash, swollen lymph nodes and heart issues.

There are many reasons other than chicken pox. It is good to go to your Dr. and know they may even put you in your own special room called a "rash" room because many rashes can be spread easily and they want to keep anyone else from getting what your child has.

Using a cool cloth can help your child.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 10:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My dd has an allergic recation and it started as dots on her backa nd moved to her face and arms, then slowly to belly and legs.

ANyhow, it's always best to let the doc interprut
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The Chicken Pox vaccine doesn't not prevent the pox, it lessens the severity of pox, just like any other vaccine. Give your son a warm bath and see if he breaks out anymore. It could be many things...chicken pox, measles, allergic reaction, etc. Call the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Hey if your kids has the chicken pox there are a bunch of moms who would like to party at your house.
    Anonymous

• Seriously hope your child feels better soon though. Call the doctor.
    Anonymous

• I have a 6 year old , this is reocurring...She has alredy had the chicken pox after being vaccinated....The diag. was MSRA ....They just kept returning ...I finally took her to a infectuous disease Dr...and he said absolutly not ...It is an allergic reaction, gave us some claritin and sent us on our way....Well, It's been 3 days.....2more spots and not quite as severe ...I personally don't think it's going to work in which case I will ask for a culture test....any clue as to yours?>diag?I have empathy....
    displaymom

Answer by displaymom at 1:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2009