What do you do to improve your child(ren)'s quality of life?

On a somewhat constant basis, I'm picking my brain and those of other parents to find creative ways to improve the quality of my two daugters' childhood. Please share some things you do, from the simplest kiss goodnight to the most elaborate vacation and everywhere in between, to make your tike's life complete. I love to hear all the creative ideas!

PenelopesMom

Asked by PenelopesMom at 9:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dad used to take me fishing on sat. morning without my brothers along. We would go through the kitchen and grab a few things to try as bait. I remember watching popcorn fall off the hook...cause he let me try it even though he knew it wouldn't work. He always had a special saying.." Of all the little girls in the whole wide world, who is daddy's favorite?" He would say if you line them up in the gym I would go around saying..I don't want her...or her...til he would pick me. he does it to my dd now. She laughs and says she is his favorite now! My mom always found a way for us to help in the kitchen. So comforting to sit on the counter by her kitchenaid mixer. She bought me one when I moved out. To me it is the small stuff kids remember.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Our mom always did a special day with each of us. We got to pick what we wanted to do and she would take us. She also took us school shopping alone so we could have that time to talk to her and have our one on one time. We took a family vacation every summer to either a beach or maybe an amusement park for a few days. She would let us watch tv with her before bed and would tell us stories about when we were little and stories of our dad who passed away when I was almost 2. We spent lots of time with our grandparents and doing arts and crafts that she keep all these years. She would write in a journal to each of us and she saved them until we were old enough to appreciate them and then gave them to us for easter, christmas, our birthday and valentines day. In the journals were special days we had or even the bad times. It always ended in, and I will love you more today then yesterday but never more than tomorrow.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well, quality of life like material things? Or quality of life as in character, integrity, security? First and foremost, I maintain my relationship with my husband. Our solid marriage is the foundation of their security and sense of well being. They know mom and dad love one another and love them. We don't allow drama in our home created by others. If we have our own disagreements, then fine, but we don't allow outside family or friends to upset our home. We do a lot of extracirricular activites even if it means our schedules are tight. Our kids play a lot of sports and we faithfully make every practice and game. Theres a time for rest but its been a good thing for our kids to be on team sports. We attend church together most sundays and we teach our kids Godly principles. Thats what we believe so we incorporate it into life. Its not just about church, its about lifestyle. We do vacation once a year together too.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I always tell my kids to Believe in themselves, be kind to others, always know Mom and Dad love you soooo much. I always try to give them what I didn't have in life growing up. Such as Birthday parties every year, the chance to participate in activities that cost money but they enjoy and it makes them happy. We don't do vacations much, but we do fun stuff for them like the movies, Chuckie Cheese, take them to the Zoo. We always try to encourage them to try new things, be confident in themselves, and never give up. I have to say I have some pretty happy and kind kids!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'm there for him, I'm honest with him, he has a relationship with his father, he's given lots of opportunities to push himself and expand his experience and life skills. He participates in family life and isn't treated with disrespect. We read together, talk together, explore together. And when he wants to do something by himself, he's allowed the opportunity to see if he can do it by himself, unless safety is an issue. I meet his needs by living outside my box as needed, especially in regards to socializing - he's an extrovert, I'm an introvert. He gets healthy food to eat with the occasional treat; he has toys to play with and share; TV is limited so that he can learn to entertain himself and find creative ways of playing; I ensure he gets plenty of sleep to grow healthy and strong; he has good friends to play with and is generous when making new friends. I'm raising him with faith, hope and love.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I always try to think up different things my children would enjoy doing. Whether it is something small like licking the beaters or something bigger like making it to Disney while she is still into the princesses and would find the magic in it. We go to the park every chance we get. My oldest is in gymnastics, mostly because she loves to be with the other little girls. I have a ton of dress up floating around my house because I can't resist buying it...she loves it so much.

Probably the two biggest things I have done are making sure I have my college education and getting a job that I can work from home. I teach for the online campus of my college and I rarely have to go in. I also substitute teach, but usually only one day a week. I get to be home with my babies and work part time but make very nice wages. It gives me the time and money to improve our lives.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Always listen to them. No matter what they're talking about it's important enough for them to talk about so it should be important enough to listen to.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We have family Uno before bed, for 15-30 minutes, every night. Your children will remember the little things so much more than an expensive toy or vacation.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2009