Okay. My son just turned 1. When and at what age should I begin potty training and what are some good methods?

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When he's ready, and usually that's not before two. I don't believe in forcing potty training, it's a work in progress so we go with the flow with my daughter. She has gone on the potty a few times, etc.. :) 1 is way to young.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my son is 2.5 we started last month doing good with pee pee.. poop is about 50/50 he's afraid of the poopy going down the drain
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You have awhile. THe average age for boys is about 3, so don't start fretting about it yet. Probably about 2 1/2, he might start letting you know when hes wet. (possibly earlier). Thats a good time to introduce the potty. My theory that has worked for me is to wait until they are super ready, then just have it done in a few weeks. If you start too early, then you will be THAT much longer doing it. As far as books go.....I cant remember the names of the ones I read. Try googling it. I think I would focus on other things for right now. Hes still learning how to walk and interact with the world. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It depends on how to do it, but I firmly believe a lot of potty training woes can be avoided if you do it around 20 months. It's not a very popular opinion, because the tendency now is to wait until the child comes up and says, "I wanna go potty now, mommy, I'm a big boy." My daughter trained at 19 months and we didn't have to deal with a lot of problems common in older kids -- stool refusal, battle of wills, etc. We just got rid of the diapers and showed her how to use the potty, let her know that's what she was expected to do from then on, and helped her achieve that. Take a look at the Potty Training Moms group on CM. There's a lot of info there. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• People say when they are ready, but I started my first before she showed signs at 12 months old, but with her birthday in April it was going into the nice weather so I slowed down and only done it if we were in the house and if it were rainny then at 18 months when it got cold i started doing it again and it took me one month she was fully trained at 19 months old i used panties only why doing it no diapers or pullups. My second is 15 months old now we started also at 12 months old, but her old doctor for some reason never vaccinated her for rotavirus so she had that for almost 3 weeks i had to stopped training until that was gone we just started again this is funny the other day daddy was on the potty she had no clothes on she backed up between his legs he thought she was giving him a hug well she peed on the floor lol. She isn't fully potty trained yet but if you ask her if she has to go potty she runs to the steps
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I honestly thing it is easier the younger they are
    mommy5409

• oh I missed some of the ? first come up with a vocab we use pee poop penis butt
    then for like a month at least have him go to the potty with you all the time
    then first thing in the am "hey do you want to sit on the potty?" sitting gets a sticker
    pee gets a dance and a hershy kiss
    poopy gets a half hour dance and three kisses!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:24 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son is 13 months. I will start when he is 18 months. I don't think there is anything wrong with "forcing" it. I plan on taking him to the bathroom when I go, give little m&m's or something as a reward. I also am in the process of teach sign language so he can tell me when he needs to go potty and what he wants when he cries and things like that. I read a fact somewhere before that 90% of kids were potty trained by 18 months a hundred or so years ago. So that shows IT IS POSSIBLE. :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i wanted to add after reading the other post 1 is not way to young that is the age i started i just didn't force them if they cried i got them up and put them back in like 10 minutes i believe consistancy has a lot to do with it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• One more thing... most experts say they become capable of holding their bladders around 18 months, so any time after that, and IMO the sooner after that the better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2009