For the Catholics - HOW DARE YOU!!!

Okay, now that I have your attention... I need a little help...

My great uncle was diagnosed with brain cancer. Although they are removing the tumor today chances are he only has a few months left.

That part of my family is all Strict Roman Catholic... And I need a refresher. What do Catholics believe happens upon death? I don't want to say the wrong thing trying to be comforting. I was raised JW, today I am Pagan... Although I have studied Catholisism because of my family, it's been a few years and after studying any number of religions (Christian and Non) I need a quick refresh.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• your body is just a temple that holds your soul until Jesus calls it back-- you go to Jesus there is a review of your life you sit in pugatory until youve repented then you join the Angels and other past family
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We believe in Eternal Life. We are not reincarnated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Purgatory....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• He who believes will have eternal life. He is being called home by the Holy Father. As far as what to say, there is nothing you can say to ease the pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Honestly i cannot answer you, but i will pray for you and your family.God bless.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sabrina:

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I have lost many family members to cancer, and I have a good friend living with colon cancer right now.
    I can't say that I know the answer with full honesty, but I believe that most Catholics believe the soul goes to purgatory for judgment and atonement and then on to heaven or hell, depending on how they are judged. I am not 100% certain on this, though, so don't quote me on that.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family my friend.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sabrina, I'm sorry for this sad circumstance, and I hope you and your family are all covered in great peace during this tough transition time. I'll leave the answers to the Catholic mamas.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If your soul is pure straight to heaven. Since most of us are a little impure time through purgatory for a quick or long cleansing. To end up in hell you'd have to be a real evil no good person.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Purgatory, then your church will hold x amount of masses over a certain period of time so that way your family can come and pray for your soul to get out of purgatory and go to heaven.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Oh forgot to add the time period is a certain number of years, but I can't remember how many. sorry
    fallnangel3