Breastfeeding 5mth. old....

Thankfully I am able to breastfeed again!!! For those of you who haven't followed my millions of questions about how to begin breastfeeding again, here's the basics, I breastfed my DD for about 3 1/2 almost 4 months, and then I began having problems with my PPD, and my milk supply pretty much demished, so I began drinking Mother's milk and Fenugreek, and thankfull got my supply back. Then LO decided she didn't like nursing, that she'd rather bottle feed- go figure! But as of Lastnight, she has only had the breast!!! WOOHOO for us! I finally decided that she would eat from the boob, or else! lol. And she took to it with no problem again!! Thank God! But now I'm concerned she may not be getting enough. I'm going to start counting wet diapers today to make sure, but she just seems a little hungrier and fussier now. :( And also I have a question about feeding food. We usually feed her baby food 2 times a day, ...continued...

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 10:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• should I still feed her baby food, while I am trying to get a good supply and also teach her to fully breastfeed again??
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Keep feeding her on-demand to make sure your supply stays up. Even if she's fussy, you're right to count diapers because that's what counts. I was doing what you're doing around 5 months because I had begun the bad habit of supplementing thinking she wasn't getting enough. But she hasn't had a drop of formula since... just keep it up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I started both my kids on foods at 4 months old, I dont think it would hurt any, especially if she is hungary
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yeah, you can still feed her baby food. My guess is she isn't getting tons of it anyway at this point? What I would avoid is increasing the quantity of baby food from what you've been giving her already... don't be tempted to supplement the bm feedings with extra solids. That's what would keep your supply from meeting her demand.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You go GIRL I'm so happy for you and your baby! Join a Le LAche league mommy group they are VERY helfull-- you dont NEED to feed food until around 10 months you can do just breast milk its up to you your supply will return based on her demand so let her nurse often to get your supply back it takes like 24-48 hours to return to full supply
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you have 6-8 wet diapers a day keep her on just breast. If you're under that, then you may have to do it more slowly, getting rid of one bottle feeding at a time. But if anyone gives her a bottle, it shouldn't be you. The best way to keep getting her to accept your breast is for her to never get a bottle from mommy.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thanks Everyone for the great support and advice!!!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I am so glad it is going well. If you are going to continue the food then I would suggest nursing first and then feeding solids (what you should be doing at this age anyway). Personally I would not be giving the food though. Neither of my kids wanted it unitl about 9-10 months old and breastmilk is all they NEED until about 12 months anyway. The food before that should only be for "practice" and not nutrition if you are nursing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• She may be having a growth spurt
    Andrewsmom25

Answer by Andrewsmom25 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I would keep up with the baby food because you're not wanting your supply to be making up her entire diet, so just nurse as much as you want her to be getting from your milk.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009