If you saw someone going through your garbage what would you do?

Someone once told me once you throw it out it isn't considered your property. This morning I witnessed, I guess a homeless person, going through my trash that I placed side the road. S/O went outside to tell him to get lost. He came back inside and told me that the person was looking for food so he gave him 3 dollars. That didn't sit right with me at all.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 10:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• one mans trash is another mans treasure!! I would have fed him too!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you're worried about personal information, then shred it or burn it before your throw it out. But as far as a homeless guy looking for food, or even cans to cash in, I see nothing wrong with it. I would have thought about making him a sandwich.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Always shred what you don't want others to use (name, etc.).

Kudos to your SO for giving him some money so he could buy something to eat. I would've done the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Where I live it is very respectful I would freak if that happened I mean I would hope they would hurry up and go. I would make sure my doors are locked I think that is scary.

But you have a big heart diamondmamma...God will bless you :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• As soon as its on the street its public, and there isnt much you can do.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If that happened where I live it would be a bum or crackhead looking for cans, I would tell them to get the fuck off my lot and if they came back call the cops. That happens a little frequently in my trailer park, but I think they know better than to come digging in my trash.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• ive always seen people come through the neighborhoods we live in and take things we dont want..and im glad! lol..i didnt want all my old ceiling fans i replaced anyway. i burn all my pertinent info in the fireplace or shred it anyway so im not worried about it. and as long as they dont throw trash everywhere i dont mind. if theyre in need of food or cans to turn in for money, id offer them food or give them my cans or a few bucks. i was raised to never turn a blind eye to those who need your attention...so im that person that buys an extra sandwich at mcdonalds and gives it to the guy on the corner. cant hurt!! whats so great about trash that you wanted to keep it on your curb anyway lol....wouldnt worry about it, just get rid of your info carefully and if they make messes then call em on it or then call the cops.
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 11:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'm just thankful we live in the country.... If someone were brave enough to come to my home and go through my trash they would have a shotgun and a 90lb German Shepherd in their face.... Don't see many Homeless people in these parts, lolol
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yes, when I lived in a condo, the transients always got into the trash. Once I went to toss a bag in the dumpster and a guy was in there poking around. Can't do much I'm afraid.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• What didn't sit right with you, the fact that he was going through the trash for food or the fact that your hubby gave him 3 bucks? Many homeless people are indeed hungry but many are also homeless due to addiction problems. I never give them cash as I refuse to help them kill themselves by buying drugs or liquor. I would however buy them a meal at a fast food place or give them food from my home if they were going through my trash. No one should ever have to go hungry...not in this country!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009