Potty training= frustrating! lol

My son was potty trained during the day and had some accidents at night. But now he has completely went back to refusing to use the potty! How do I get him back to using the potty?

beingamomrocks1

Asked by beingamomrocks1 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him do it on his own lots of kids go back and forth before they go completely. My daughter did the same and now she is potty trained. Give him time he just might not be ready yet.
    Or maybe something has changed i.e. moved,new baby, family member moved away, new one showed up, just about any change in his life will cause that as well
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• For my oldest, I paid him. 0.25 for p'ing and 0.50 for BM. After a few weeks, he upped the price..
    For the other one, I tried everything..bullseye in potty, candy, toys, money...p'ing outside worked..he loved to "drown the ants."
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My best advice is no matter how much he's refusing to go potty, don't go back to diapers or pull-ups. These regressions happen, but it will click back in to place. A lot of these regressions have nothing to do with major changes or life events. A lot of times they go through this when they're learning something new and totally unrelated to potty training ... like new verbal skills, etc. A lot of times a step backward is necessary before taking 2 steps forward... Just try to communicate to him that you still have confidence in him, switching back to diapers is like you've given up... He can do it! Just take him periodically and he should be back on track soon.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Frustrating indeed. 2 months after being fully trained during the day, my daughter had a week straight with 3 or more accidents... we started the rewards back, started putting her on the potty without her asking to go, etc.... but who knows what, if anything, that we did worked. One week after this started, she was back to telling us every time she needed to go and now has almost no accidents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Regressions are common. Just take him on a set schedule - every 2 hours or so. Don't wait for him to ask or to tell you. If he is not wanting to use the potty, he may very well NEVER ask or tell you. So, just tell him it is time to go and take him. If you want, use a timer instead. When the timer goes off, tell him it's time to go... then it's not "you" telling him, it's the "timer" that's the bad guy.
    And remember that night-time dryness has NOTHING to do with day time dryness. If he self trains for night time, great. But bedwetting is common for many years to come. Get the two issues seperate in your mind so you don't get frustrated over something he can't control. It's like being angry at a sleepwalker for walking around while asleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'd start over hardcore and let him know that he will not be going back to diapers and that he'll feel a lot more comfortable if he uses the potty again and stays dry.  I could go on with more ideas if you'd like.  I've been through this half a dozen times as a nanny.

http://raisingrocco.today.com/2009/04/23/potty_trained_under_two/

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009