not interested in milk

yesterday was the last of the formula and my son is now drinking all reg. milk. but he doesnt seem that interested in it. I pour it in a sippy and he takes sips here and there, he doesnt gulp it down like he did when it was all formula, or mixed with milk for the weaning process. is this normal? is it ok if I leave the cup in the fridge or whatever throughout the day? as long as he's getting the 18 ounces he normally has in a day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children don't need milk; cow milk is made for baby cows. Water is best. If you are concerned about how to get calcium into him, read this: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html. For general baby and toddler nutrition, this is a great source: www.superbabyfoods.com
    And to learn why milk may not be as wholesome as the dairy industry wants you to believe, read this: http://www.notmilk.com/forum/505.html

Answer by rkoloms at 11:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My 3 year old was like that and is still like that, what I do (but because yours is much younger then my child I don't reccomend you do this) I give her chocolate/ strawberry syrup in her milk and she'll drink that but not all the time! Otherwise i don't bother to give her milk only in her cereal!!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• He's probably still getting used to it. Did you transition to the sippy cup at the same time as you transitioned to milk? The container could have something to do with it. My daughter only wanted her milk from a straw sippy cup even though she'd take water from the other kind. Go figure. Just keep trying, and I'd avoid the temptation to add sugary syrup to it. Your child really only needs 15-20 oz milk tops, or you can even make up for the milk with other dairy products -- yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, etc. Plain whole milk yogurt mixed with fresh fruit or fruit purees is a great, healthy way to get calcium and a serving of fruit.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son did the same thing. I ended up having the flavor the milk with sugar free chocolate/ strawberry syrup also. He's 2 and a half now, and still has to have it flavored if I expect him to drink it.
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have the super baby food book! I'll go back and read it. I didnt even think about using that book as a reference since it is very pro-vegan. thank you!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2009