Anyone have a hard time swallowing large pills?

I'm a weenie! LOL I can't swallow anything larger than tylenol! I have such a hard time taking pills! I always try to swallow it first and if I can't after several trys I just cut it into smaller portions or just smash it up. does anyone else have this problem? I mean HELL I'm a grown woman I should be able to take some damn medicine...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Health

• I have a hard time swallowing any pill. My mom had the same problem and she had to go to the doctor and have her throat streched. After hearing how that went, I decided I will settle for not being able to take a pill. I use Alka Selzer now.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 11:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I am the same way. I can never swallow any pills ever. I use to have to smash the pills then mix them with pudding or something. But then i started to get sick really easily after doing that. Which thats actually not healthy. Now whenever i need to take medicine I usually go to the doctor and he will write me up a prescription to take a liquid medicine. It sure helps taste nasty but i can swallow it.
    trapper

Answer by trapper at 12:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have trouble swallowing certain pills, too, but most cannot be crushed, cut, or dissolved before being swallowed.
    What I try to do is place a pill far back on my tongue and immediately begin drinking a large amount of water while tilting my head back a bit. Relaxing the throat helps, too.
    If it sticks, I just cough it up and swallow more water until it goes down.
    When you require a prescription, ask the technician or pharmacist who takes your order for a description of the medication. Ask them to show you the pill itself, if they can, and explain why. Sometimes, they will offer a liquid alternative, if it is available for that type of medication. Or, if it is a large dose and smaller doses come in smaller sized pills, they may call and ask your physician if they can change the prescription to the smaller dose and just administer more to equal the correct prescribed dose.
    Speak to your physician beforehand, though.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Try taking the pills with milk. Hold the milk in your mouth and just kind of drop the pill in and swallow. I had to stop taking prenatal vitmains because I couldn't swallow them. You have to be careful with crushing or breaking up pills, some have to be taken whole. Ask your doc for liquid or smaller pills.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2009