is she to young for timeout?

I have an 18 month old, and she is very smart. Latley she has started to tell me no, and will run off when I try to get her to do something, like lay down and change your diaper, or she is climbing on the coffee table, and I tell her no she will shake her head no at me and giggle untill I get up to take down. And she is hitting her brother, he is so gentle with her that he wont tell her no, I have to, but because he is that way she thinks it is funny. I do get up and immediately take care of it when she doesnt listen, but is she old enough to start like a 1 or 2 minute time out with her? She understands everything and is just testing to see if she has to listen or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's too young to start... we started around then with a minute and a half (used the microwave timer). At 22 months she is just starting to totally get it. At the end of the time out we have her tell us why she was in time out and apologize, which she can do now.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You could try it but she may not get it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't think it's too early if you feel she's bright enough to understand what the punishment is for. The general rule I've heard for time outs is 1 minute per year in age, so a minute would be perfect for her. As for me, I'm up to 30 minute time-outs if I'm a bad girl :) LOL!
    PenelopesMom

Answer by PenelopesMom at 11:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It's a great time for time out. Just understand that at this age, you will be in time out too, holding here there until she gets the idea. 1 minute is long enough until she's sitting still on her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think she is too young. I thing you should counter her with YES as much as possible. She has just learned the meaning of no, so she is going to abuse it while she is learning her will power. If you do put her in time out, i would do as the above poster said & keep it at one minute. Time outs never worked for me though, neither has spanking.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I used to stick my son in the play pen for time out he got three mins or so. And before i would take him out i would tell him he needed to listen or he was going back in. It took a few weeks but he got it. He's just about two now and he get put in the corner when he's not listening although we haven't had to do it very much since now he'll listen.

www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com

Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You should have started time outs when she first started moving around and she'd KNOW what they are by now. No, she is not too young, but it's going to take a bit for her to get it. You have to start sometime, better late than never.

Just be consistent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Also pick a place that you don't mind her associating with time-out... don't use her crib or anything. We have this wooden chair that hardly anyone ever sits in, and that's where she has her time outs. Today she put her teddy bear in time-out there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The rule of thumb is one minute per year. At that age, what worked best for us was putting BankieBay (the beloved blanket) in the closet for a time out.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• She is way too young, she would never understand the concept. I would wait until she was between 2 or 3 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009