• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my toddler son comfortable with pull-ups?

I have been introducing my 21 month old son to his potty for about the last month and getting him familiar with pull-ups. This morning when I was going to have him wear one for the first time he started fussing and wanted his diaper on...I was a little frustrated but just kept encouraging him. I feel as though he is ready to begin potty training. He will hold his diaper when he is going and tell me after he goes #2. Any suggestions?

Michal326

Asked by Michal326 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get the pull ups with the velcrow like sides, so you can put them on like a diaper, ad once he get used to it the magically become big boy undies
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Pull ups actually delay potty training. You can let him run around the house without pants. Don't force the potty; you will just have too much frustration and accidents. My daughter wore diapers until she was four and never had an accident (that was also when she started reading, go figure).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree that pull-ups are somewhat counter productive... most kids feel like they're diapers (though your son may be the exception) and so treat them like diapers... We decided to throw out the diapers one day and put her in underwear and told her she'd be using the potty from then on. She'd start to have an accident and we'd move her to the potty so she finished there. We kept her in diapers for naps and bedtime. We did this at 19 months. Messy to begin with, but well worth the effort up front. Yes there were accidents, but that's a full year (at least) of diapers we didn't have to go through, that we would have if we had waited until she had all the "readiness signs" everyone talks about.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Ditch the pull ups. When you are home, simply take his diaper off and put him on the potty every hour. Once he seems to "get it" - his diaper is staying dry almost all the time - simply switch him to undies.
    Keep the pull ups for later use, once the diapers are gone... things like long trips to a park with no bathroom, long car trips, and overnight use.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Pull-ups do delay potty training and are very expensive.  I would go with regular underwear and get him using the potty asap.

http://raisingrocco.today.com/2009/04/23/potty_trained_under_two/

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009