Parents Who Take Advantage?

All efforts to find a friend for my four-year-old daughter have resulted in the parents of the children essentially using me. They'll basically dump the kid on me, not come back when they say they will, and then have the nerve to complain to me over stupid little things like "My kid got dirty at your house!" Well genius, kids get dirty! How do I avoid being used in the future? I want her to have a friend, but not at the cost of my sanity.

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 11:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• One way to keep them from staying away longer than they say they will is to offer to drop the kids home at the assigned time because "you have plans" after that.

Also if they drop the kids off at your house say, "We are getting a little messy today. Just wanted you to know." Then they won't have a leg to stand on if the kid gets dirty.

Then make sure you set up a date for your kid to go over to their house.
    Rebeccalynn_dj

Answer by Rebeccalynn_dj at 11:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• SEE DIDNT HAVE PLAY DATES WHEN MY GUYS WERE GROWING UP..... SO SORRY NO ADVICE EXCEPT I AGREE WITH Rebeccalynn_dj
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Do you go to church? Usually people share the same values with each other at church. Usually... I find it easier to get along w/ people from church than others....
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 12:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Check into reading groups at your local library.

Check into Parents As Teachers. It's nation wide and you can check on their site for groups in your area (they have playgroups)

Check into other local mom's groups.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• This is so uncalled for.. I want play mates for my 4yr old DD too but I meet people at places where the parents have to be there. I don't want to watch someone elses kid on top of my own just so she could have a friend.. Try to meet them at the park or library or make it a craft day where the parent has to be there to help..
    Halsmommy

Answer by Halsmommy at 12:14 PM on May. 2, 2009