is it proper ettiquite to have my daughter open communion gifts at her party, especially if they are mostly cards, or should I have her wait?

It is not a big gathering, small family. Most of the guests in my family usually give cards with a monetary gift.

clutterqueen

Asked by clutterqueen at 11:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think people usually open them, but I'm not sure.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think it's more like a wedding where you open the cards after. Have your child thank the person as they get the card and then you put them somewhere safe until after the communion is over. I'm sure each guest doesn't want to sit there and watch her read cards for 20 minutes and each guest probably doesn't want everyone to know how much they gave or didn't give. My daughter is making her's on May 2nd and I'm going to wait until after the party. That's just my thought on it, do whatever you feel is right. Enjoy her special day!
    2girlsmom1905

Answer by 2girlsmom1905 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Having 5 who we've celebrated this,with another one next year( I have one which will celebrate Confirmation may 12th)I think it's rude not to open their gifts while the guests are there.If they come to help celebrate an occassion whether birthday,new baby,wedding or something else like first communion or confirmation you should be polite enough to open their gift in front of them....even if it's a card. cjsix
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 5:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• people usually open cards and gifts during the party. Guests enjoy being acknowledged and seeing what others got. If it is a card with money read the card and just say money. You don't need to announce how much money.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2009