What is the best puppy for 3 and 5 year old girls?

sharon2

Asked by sharon2 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you can go to the akc.org website, they have a little quiz on there about your family and activity level and all that so you can find the right breed for your family.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• labs are real good dogs :) were getting one this weekend.. a yellow lab... my son is only one so we'll have to watch it with him.. but they are very very good dogs!!!!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i have a australian sheperd/ black lab mix and shes awsome with my son (hes only 7 months) shes calm and gental and knows when to play and when to just sit there. We got her froma rescue and shes 10 weeks. weve had her for 2 weeks and hasnt had an accedent! shes perfect!
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had a border collie when my boys were 2 and 4 and he was awesome, we got him when he was about 5 months old, and he was so gentle with them, and as a herding dog he helped us know if they were doing something they shouldnt, like going to the far side of the yard. And an awesome watch dog too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We have a boxer puppy and she's a good dog. Very smart, but she doesn't know how big she is...lol. She crushes my cat while trying to play with her. My daughter is 3 1/2 and the dog thinks that my daughter belongs to her. lol. She follows her around like a freakin' shadow...
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 12:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Read up on the different breeds and pick the one that is right for YOUR family.
    www.akc.org

Do you want a small dog or a large one?
    Do you have time for lots of walks and play or do you need one that is more of a lap dog?
    Do you need one that can be alone most of the day or will someone be home most of the day?
    Do you have time for lots of grooming or do you need a low maintenence dog?
    Will you mind digging, barking, jumping or do you need a breed that is less likely to do those things?

Make a list and research the breed. Also check into bite stats. While all breeds of dog can bite, some are more likely to bite than others. And once they do bite, some breeds are more likely to do serious harm or even kill than others - some will nip and let go, some will clamp down and shake for example.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Most shelters will help you pick a dog that matches the temperament your family needs. It's cheaper, and saves dogs from euthanasia.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 4:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• boxer.. labs they say are, but they turn just like anything else.. they are not the numberone dog anymore.. pugs are the top of the list..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have had a few dogs with my kids, and rottweilers are by far the best and easiest to train, (in my opinion) but if you want a smaller breed, my 4 year old LOVES her Chihuahua, he is gentle and great with her,,,,although he was a PAIN to house train.
    I've also had pomeranians, boxers and so on (I grew up around LOTS of animals)
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• for temperament and tolerance, I vote for golden retrievers! We've had a couple and their personalities are very laid back, great with kids, and easily socialized.
    nananana82146

Answer by nananana82146 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 23, 2009