Going outdoors with baby

At what age is it okay for a baby to be outside for longer than a few seconds? I took my son out last night and then he was up all night crying and fussy and then had a fever. I'm not sure if its because I took him outside or what? This happened last time I took him outside when he first turned 3 months. He is a week from being 4 months now. Just curious

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard of this. I took both my girls outside for long periods of time... My first was born at the end of May, my second at the start of September. You need to keep them warm if it's cold outside, and covered (out of the sun) but in cool clothing if it's hot, but other than that I'm not sure what the problem is... I'd have him checked out if you think they're related.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't think having a fever has anything to do with going outside unless it was really cold outside and he didn't have hardly anything clothes on. Its actually good for babies to go outside and get some fresh air and a little vitamins from the sun. I've been taking my daughter outside for walks and stuff since she was like a month old. If he still has a fever, you should call his doctor.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i wouldnt think that bening outside for just a few seconds would make him sick he might have already been getting sick or could have allergies. I take my daughter out all the time and have since she was about 3 weeks old. But then again I live in Florida and its already like summer here I dont know where you live but the weather might play a huge factor in this I would bring this with your Ped at his next check up and discuss allergies thats the only thing I could think it would be. Good luck I know this wasnt much help
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 12:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Supposedly babies can't have seasonal allergies until their second year -- until they're exposed to those same allergens for a second time.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I took him to dr. this morning. They said he may have some allergies so i dunno? It was a lil windy but maybe like 5 mph if that. I hope its nothing major and eventually we will go outside and he will be okay with it.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Both my kids were outside from day 1 with no problems. I think your baby has some other issue. I doubt it's being outside.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 12:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I took my son out for a walk the day we got home from the hospital and pretty much every day since. He loves being outside and now at nine months, if he's fussy, somtimes it's the only way to calm him down. The fresh outside air is good for them. I agree with RyleeMendez, sounds like it's something else entirely.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Just out of curiosity, what made you think it isn't okay for a baby to be outside, especially at 3 months?? Granted I wouldn't keep a newborn out in the sun for long, but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with taking your 4 month old baby outside to get some fresh air for more than a couple seconds!!!!
    Anonymous

• my son has been going outside with us since day 1, so I don't know what to tell you! :)
    Anonymous

• i am just concerned about the wind. I live in OK and its been pretty windy for the last couple months. Not that I don't take him out ever....just to clear that up a lil bit. I take my son with me in his car seat where ever I go, so he does get fresh air a lot, but I mean just setting outside on the porch.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009