When should I ween him of his blankie?

We're weening our 22 month of his pacifier, he's only getting it at naps and bed time. Do I also have to worry about the blankie or will that just come with time?

Jutrog

Asked by Jutrog at 12:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would not worry about the blankie, that is what is going to get him through having his binkie be taken away. And since he HAS his blankie, I suggest just taking away his binkie all together - he already has another way to soothe himself and it is likely that it will only cause problems for the first 1-3 days.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about the blankie. The pacifier can cause him problems with his teeth. The blanket won't cause problems if he keeps it.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Ours has never really needed hers outside of her bed (occasionally she'll bring it downstairs but then forget about it), so we haven't worried. If he's needing/wanting to take it everywhere then I guess it could become a problem but I wouldn't tackle both at the same time... once he's cool with no pacifier, you could tell him his blankie will wait for him in his bed until his next sleep...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't worry about a blanket. Kids sometimes need a comfort item. My 11 year old used to drag a blanket around like Linus! but he's fine now! My 18 year old still has a small square of his blank left. I don't mind because my mom made it for him, so that's nice that he appreciates it and loves it! As long as they aren't dragging it around in public or getting it filthy or losing it, who cares?
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 12:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had a blankie as a baby/child. I loved mine until I was about 3 and my mom had to keep cutting it down till it was the size of a washcloth because of washing it so much. It is now in a zip-lock in her attic Let it be if it comfort your child what is the harm?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• NEVER.
    Let him decide when he is done with it. It may even end up going off to college with him and living a quiet existence hidden in the back of his closet. So what? Unlike bottles and binkies, it won't harm his teeth. Let him keep it as long as he wants.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about the blanket even if he does take it with him. My son had to have his blanket with him all the time. When he got a bit older he only took it if we were going on a longer trip. If we were going to be in the car for more than hour. He still has to take his blanket when we go visiting the relatives. He will give it up when he is ready.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 12:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I still have my blankie. I even brought it on my honeymoon. My 3 year old has one as well. I will never take it away from her. Mine reminds me of my childhood, my mother cuddling with me. It gives me a warm feeling, as I am sure it does our children.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 12:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thank you all!!
    Jutrog

Answer by Jutrog at 12:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• well i had the same question an u guys have just answered it
    Mrs.Brewer0607

Answer by Mrs.Brewer0607 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009