How do you politely ask guest not to bring small children to a baby shower?

I am getting ready to send out my baby shower invitations. I have alot of friends who have small children under the age of 7. My dilemma is..my mom is paying for the shower at a restaurant and I really do want the expense to be as minimal as possible. most restaurants charge by the number of people that show up. I don't want to be rude with my guest because I love kids I am just trying to take my mom into consideration...and her wallet. I was wondering if anyone else has asked on the invitations for small children not to attend. Another thing..my husband will be at the baby shower and I am taking my kids but my youngest one is 8 and my 2 oldest are 12.

LuvmyFam6

Asked by LuvmyFam6 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is your shower so your entire family should be there. Any woman who is offended by that is a little ridiculous. I would add "+1 guest" and make sure they RSVP. Or just say "no children please".
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My invites said "please, ladies only, no husbands or children" But it might be kind of hard with you bringing your along too. Maybe talk to you friends or put on the invite that if they bring kids they have to pay for them if they want to eat or anything along those lines. Or think of leaving your husband ond kids home or finding a sitter for the kids. Or have your kids dress up and be helpers so that they arent necessarily guests of honor and are more like the big helpers and it wont look so much like you are entertaining them and the friends wont feel sio bad about their kids not coming cause it wont be fun for any of the kids, kwim?
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't ask someone else to get a baby sitter if I am not going to get a baby sitter for my own....

If you really don't want kids at the party, you probably should get a baby sitter for your kids as well.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• some restaraunts consider a certain age of children as "free" is this place not doing that? maybe if you feel weird writing it on the invitation, if your guests already know about the shower, you could call them and tell them the situation and see if they could find a sitter? or you could have an informal party at your house or something if they feel left out, and tell them they only have to bring themselves and no presents are necessary?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• they shouldnt be offended i would say print it on your invitations, my family is colombian and we never aloud kids unless it was a kid birthday party. just put it on the invitation. no kids or kids a certain age and up or just no kids my mom only let kids 13 and lder go to the partys because we didnt want annoying little kids runing around
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 12:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• But its HER babyshower so of course her FAMILY wants to be involved in this. I don't see the problem that your bringing your own kids to their future baby sister/brothers babyshower. Just put one the invites.. please leave the husbands and childrens at home so this can be a relaxing day. Or something like that.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree that you should be allowed to bring your family. It is your day. I hate when people bring their kids to things mostly because they let them run wild and don't watch them and they are always in the way of presents and knocking into things. Just put adults only. I never heard of men going to baby showers either unless it was a jack and jill type thing. Also if there is a RSVP have the person taking the calls mention to the guests.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• CONTINUED...
    I thought about not taking my kids or husband for that matter but it's our last baby and they all want to be involved...one of my 12 year olds is a girl and the other 2 kids boys. I feel bad saying don't bring your kids but I can have mine :) The difference I think is that I can control my kids and I really don't want to be concerned over some elses child or how much money my mom is going to have to end up dishing out for the party. The other option would be the rent a hall at a church, then I wouldn't care because we would have the food catered. I don't know, putting too much in trying to make everyone happy, I don't want to offend any of my friends.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• your baby shower attendance may be cut in half if you say no kids. Not every one will be able to get a sitter (or maybe they will? who knows) Are you willing to make exceptions if someone calls and says, "I really wanted to come, but I just can't get a sitter". If you would let them come, then it really isn't fair to the other guests that do have to get a baby sitter (and some have to pay for the sitter, so the meal at the restaurant would probably be cheaper than the baby sitting fee) Its a slippery slope.... I'm kinda an ALL or NONE kinda girl.

Good Luck to you

Anonymous

• since you are bring your children, it will be very hard to not allow others, I know it is your baby shower but you really cant say dont bring your children but mine will be there. Even if they are your friends and family I am sure you will upset alot of moms just by asking...IMO children and hubbys should not be at showers..keeps things simple that way lol...Do you have to have the shower at a resturant? A church hall or something like that might be a good idea, it will keep the cost down and everyone would be invited.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009