We need advice - humming bird feeders

I've never really had humming bird feeders as an adult, so I don't remember much about them. I live in North Georgia. About a week ago I was on the front porch and a very green humming bird came right up to me, hovered in front of my face for a few seconds, and then took off again.

The kids and I went to Home Depot, bought some feeders and commercial nector, and hung them along the same porch that I saw the little green bird. So far no hummers have come back to our feeders! They are both still full and attracting nothing but ants!

Are we early in putting the feeders out? Or do you think we have some other issue that is keeping the hummers away? I plan on getting some ant moats, but haven't found any yet.

BTW- We also got a bird feeder and we have tons of little birds coming to that. The bird feeder is atleast 20 feet away from the hummer feeder

VeronicaLee

Asked by VeronicaLee at 12:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My hubby loves birds, especially hummingbirds (what do you expect from someone working towards a Bio degree with an emphasis in ornithology, LOL). Don't forget to change out the nectar about once a week, they won't come back if they get a taste of bad nectar. You can also make your own nectar really cheap. 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water and enough red food coloring to make it bright (you can put more in the feeder but as it goes bad so quickly we keep it to the smaller amount).

As for the ants, if your feeding is hanging from a pole and the ants are climbing the pole, sprinkle some ground ginger around the base of the pole. It'll keep the ants away. Good luck!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It may take soem time to get them to realize that you have food there. Are they brightly colored? Most humming bird feeders come in bright red, but if you got a clear one make sure there is bright color nectar in it. Once they realzie they are there it will be no time at all they wil be swarming all around. The humming bird season here is just starting, so you should be seeing something soon.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Hummingbirds are attracted to brightly colored nectar producing plants and shrubs! I would plant a Butterfly Bush, Azaleas, Coneflowers/Echinacea, and/or trumpet vine/honeysuckle vine--and place the Hummingbird feeder nearby on a Shepherd's crook/pole or hang from a post using a plant bracket, away from people.

We have at least two that dart around our yard...but not until the plants I listed above are in FULL bloom.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thanks so much!! I was hoping they weren't coming yet was because it was early and not because they don't like my yard...

We have a HUGE butterfly bush near the porch and it is just starting to have new leaves come out. Maybe I'll move the feeders over there, and put them on some hooks. I think home-depot has some for pretty cheap!!

Thanks again!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009