How long should my child (now 8yo) stay in a booster seat?

I want to make sure he is as safe as possible. What are the criteria? I know what the government says but also know that the government does not care about our kids enough to do more than the bare minimum.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is a "5 Step Test" to see when kids can safely ride without a booster seat.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
    2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
    3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
    4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
    5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!
    http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think personally a child should be in a booster until they are 100 lbs. thats what my booster seat says on it, and i know i didnt weigh 100 lbs till AT LEAST 4th or 5th grade...
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• well where i am (Ohio) as of October 2009 it will be a law that you have to keep your child in a booster seat or car seat until 8 yrs or 4'9 inches tall so you might want to call your police department to be sure of the laws where you are
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My child was out of a booster sear ever since the age of 4. I guess it depends on the height and weight. She is 8 and sits up front with me. Then again, Destiny is 100lbs and about 5 ft.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't know what the laws are in your state but the seatbelt doesn't fit properly until they are 4' 9".
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• if 100 pounds my sister is 23 years old and weighs 100 pounds
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• This website might help you. Just copy and paste. http://www.saferoads.org/issues/BoosterSeatLawChart.pdf
    It is a comparison of different states laws on age, height and weight, and you can compare them to make your own decision.
    MommaBear619

Answer by MommaBear619 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• And the thing about Destiny if you look at her pics she isn't even fat, she's just tall and her build is a little more mature than her age. Her sitting in a booster seat would be ridiculous.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 1:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The general guideline is that they remain in a booster until the bend of their knees meets the edge of the seat without the booster.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Children under 13 should NEVER sit up front! The back seat is the safest place for children. Even if they are taller and weigh more.
    Anonymous