HOW CAN I GET MY 3 YEAR OLD TO POTTY TRAIN?

HE IS VERY STUBBURN AND DOES NOT WANT TO BECAUSE THEN I WON'T HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF HIM ANYMORE. HE IS READY BUT REFUSES TO EVEN TRY. I HAVE TRIED REWARDS, TARGETS, JUST PLAIN PUSHING AND NOW I AM AT A LOSS

wolverine05

Asked by wolverine05 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I really tried to push my son too and it was very frustrating. Finally, one day, it just happened. I continued to talk about it and go through the motions and one day he just decided he was ready. I teach 3 year olds and they are all different. I don't know exactly how it works, but they eventually it just happens. This may not be politically correct, but we would let my son tinkle outside and he thought that was cool!
    keithfamily

Answer by keithfamily at 2:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• do you ever take him in the bathroom with you mines will be 3 aug 1st and he usually comes in with me when i use the bathroom and one day he just came in the bathroom and said i have to go pee pee and he in deed pee. i have to sometimes force him to go but we play games i made up a song to help him go pee pee. and he will sing it too while he sits on the potty. this is what we sing " I gotta pee pee ok" or try sitting in the with him and have him make funny faces. i wish you luck. you will get there hey wait til he starts going poopies like mines he even knows to grab the spray and spray when he is done
    sexyred8106

Answer by sexyred8106 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree with keithfamily...children are ready when they are ready...potty training can't be pushed, wether they are months or years....eventually they will get it!
    artistic1995

Answer by artistic1995 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Stop buying pull ups and diapers first and foremost. This is what I did with my 2 year old daughter. Yes, we have had a couple accidents, but eventually she realized she liked dry panties. It took about a day in panties for my daughter to get the idea that pottying in the toilet keeps her dry. I would jump around and clap every time she went to the potty in the bathroom so she would know I was excited about it and wanted her to do it again. It is a trying task potty training, but stick with it. Good luck.
    ycatstouch

Answer by ycatstouch at 9:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009