• In the Spotlight:

This is my Son's 4 day in a "big boy" bed and he still gets out! Is anyone else having as much trouble as we are?! I know there's no going back to the crib-seeing as he also fell out of it!

Mom2Caleb06

Asked by Mom2Caleb06 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Something that really helped my friend with her toddler was he LOVES Thomas the Train, and they have a play tent that is Thomas, and they put it over top of his bed so now he gets to sleep inside of Thomas and they have not had a problem since.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• let him watch a g'night movie every night preferable something over and over and with Music! SPIRIT is a good movie for sleeping probs.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• mashed potatoes work too
    2mothershelpers

• My son goes to sleep on the floor and we put him in his big boy bed. Every night about 3am, he gets up and gets in our bed. We have a queen bed and theres just not enough room. My husband has started sleeping on the couch because he cant stand being kicked anymore. But our son refuses to sleep in his bed all night. Its so very frustrating. I dont know what to do to make him stay in there!!!!
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My first two went right to their beds no problems when we switched them to beds.

My youngest...it took about two weeks to get that little booger to stay in bed! Just be consistent and keep at it. Put him back and walk out, put him back and walk out, put him back and walk out...

Stick to your routine, don't and or subtract anything. Keep the same routine as before, just without the crib. (you did remove it, right? if not, do that too!)

Not sure what mashed potatoes will have to do with keeping a toddler in bed, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• 4 days isn't that long to adjust to a bed. Our son was 22 months when we moved him. He stayed in bed each night for 1 week then realized he could get it out. It was about 6 weeks before we got the problem solved (I can almost hear your groan....) In our case, he wouldn't stay in his room alone either.. We sat in his room and just endlessly told him it was time to go night-night and he had to stay in his bed. If he got out, we immediately left the room. We let him cry a bit then repeated the process. Eventually he would play for a bit then get into bed and go to sleep without us in the room. Try to make the process as boring and repetitive as you can. Put him back in bed and tell him it's time to go to sleep. No other interaction. Try not to get angry as that adds to the drama from the child's perspective. Be persistent. Either gate the door or close it so he can't escape and make sure the room is childproofed.
    Anonymous

• Someting else to consider, the goal is to get him to go to sleep. If he gets in and out of the bed a few times as long as he doesn't leave the room, is that a problem? Try just leaving him in the room (assuming it's safe) and seeing if he'll eventually get back into bed and go to sleep.
    Anonymous