Wondering about dynamics of a big brother with little sister.

I just found out the sex of my second child at 18 weeks. It's a girl! When she is born, my son will be 20 months old. I was wondering if any of you have a boy with a younger sister. If so, what is the dynamic like? How do they get along? We totally thought it was going to be a boy and my husband is afraid they won't be as close being a boy and girl. I had a younger brother and we were close though. . .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, my DD was 2 when DS was born, and just like any siblings, they have a love-hate relationship =) I LOVE having one of each, initially I wanted another girl, but you get what you're supposed to get =) DD loves playing with DS's trucks and DS loves playing with DD's dolls. DD plays mommy and DS plays daddy, its so cute. Yes, the fight, but all kids fight. It will be great, don't worry.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son was 2 when our daughter was born. They are now 9 and 7. I think it is easier because there is less competition with toys. If Jenna is loud and girly, my son and I just chalk it up to being a girl. If Sam is rough and mean, we do the same as being a boy. I love having both. Having a big brother is awesome. The difference in them won't be a big deal until around 6 and 4. They start branching out differently and into different things. My kids are SUPER close. They have their moments but they are great together.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 1:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son was 13 months old when my daughter was born. He is so loving and caring with her. When we brought her home he was trying to help me by holding her bottle for her and hugging and kissing her. He is 22 months now and she is 8 months old and he is SOOOOO protective over her. She cries he goes to her to stop her from crying and plays with her and tickles her. It's really cute. Also if anyone he doesn't know tries to touch her he yells at them and says "NO, don't touch sissy." And he points one finger at them. It all depends on how you raise them up. I didn't ignore my son or push him away while doing things with my daughter. I think that helped. Good luck and congrats.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009